Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What stops XP Home being XP Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolluf

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
GB
Not a problem - just curious. Linney supplied a link with effectively a registry hack which allows XP Home to join a domain. This just got me thinking - how much of the difference between Home & Pro is down to registry 'hobbling'? (eg - after Home connects to domain with the hack in place, will it start using non simplified file sharing - which is default for Pro in this situation, but is not available in Home).

Could we produce a FAQ for Home users who need (some) Pro functionality?

Two big things in WinXP Pro that are not in WinXP HE, Group Policy Editor [gpedit.msc] and support for 2 Processor Chips [CPUs].

wolluf,
A friend who does system installations told me he has upgraded home to pro by adding "five or six files".

Why not just use Pro instead of Home? I'd never use Home if I had a choice. And since it's probably just as illegal to add "5 or 6 files" to Home as it is to use Pro w/o a legal license I say take the plunge. =P

as well as not being able to join a domain, or remote desktop into the XP pro machine, go Pro.

TC

scholar,
I'm not so sure you actually read wolluf's post. I'm sure he's well aware of the differences between Home and Pro. That's not the issue here...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back