Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What steps are involved in making a L2 3560 a L3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devdevil85

Technical User
Feb 11, 2008
US

What are the steps to turn a L2 Cisco 3560 into a L3?

I also want to add a Vlan10 (w/ just one port) to the switch, as well.

I also have an external DHCP server configured for Vlan1 (which is currently working) & Vlan10 (wasn't working before I reset switch), and I want it setup to function for devices on Vlan10, as well.

These are the commands that I tried using:

[Enable IP Routing]
ip routing

[Setting up Vlan10]
interface vlan10
ip address [Network ID] [Subnet Mask]

[Port on Vlan10]
switchport access vlan10
switchport mode access

[Point Vlan10 to DHCP Server]
interface vlan10
ip helper-address [DHCP Server Network ID]
(Is this correct because last time I tried doing this devices on Vlan10 still wouldn't receive any DHCP addresses even though I also setup the DHCP Server for the .10 subnet)

This is pretty much as far as I was able to get before I had to reset my switch due to jacking up DHCP on Vlan1.

Am I missing any commands? Any suggestions?

You should change the other vlan on the switch to something other than vlan 1. So you should have two vlan interfaces configured on the switch.

Yeah, I'm just wanting to add a Vlan10 to the switch which will be assigned to 1 port (for now atleast). That's what you're saying I should do, right?

If you want to create a new vlan and route between the 2 vlans, then you should create both vlans and Vlan interfaces on the 3560.

But isn't Vlan1 already created by default (The Management Vlan)?

Basically what I'm going to do is steal a port from Vlan1 and make it a part of Vlan10. Every other port should stay in Vlan1.

If you need to route between vlans then the command is the "ip routing".

Now you will have to have both vlans on the switch to do this go into configuration mode and put in "interface vlan 1" and put an IP address then do the same with vlan 10. Now the switch will route between those two subnets.

To program one port for a different vlan configure the interface fastethernet0/x and set it to switchport access vlan x.

Hmm. So I have to put a IP Address on Vlan1? I thought Vlan1's Network ID was the Switch itself's?

I was also told that I don't need to put an ip helper-address command on Vlan1; only on Vlan10.

So by adding an IP Address to a Vlan am I essentially turning it into an SVI (Switch Virtual Interface)?

This is what Cisco says about it:

" VLANs divide broadcast domains in a LAN environment. Whenever hosts in one VLAN need to communicate with hosts in another VLAN, the traffic must be routed between them. This is known as inter-VLAN routing. On Catalyst switches it is accomplished by creating Layer 3 interfaces (Switch virtual interfaces (SVI) ). This document provides the configuration and troubleshooting steps applicable to this capability.

If you don't put an ip address on a vlan the switch won't route between that vlan and the others with IP addresses.

Well, what I was trying to ask was:

Doesn't Vlan1 already have an Ip Address associated with it (meaning that I wouldn't need to put one on it anyways)?

Vlan10, on the other hand, I Do need to put one on, which makes sense, but it's Vlan1 that I'm not understanding.

Either way, I guess I could do it anyway; it's not like it's going to hurt anything.

Are there any other things that I need to do?

To route between vlans each layer 3 SVI must have an ip address assigned to both vlan 1 and vlan 10 . These become the default gateways that have to be applied to all client nic cards if you want clients to be able to talk between vlans. For users in vlan 1 their nic cards must be pointed to the ip address in the 3560 for vlan 1 if they want to talk to devices in vlan 10 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back