Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What speeds for file downloading should I expect from a 56kps modem? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggle

Technical User
Jul 31, 2000
AU
Hi,<br><br>I currently have a Rockwell 56k internal modem in my HP pavillion PIII 500. I am finding that when I download text files or MP3's (ie any file) I am downloading at a rate of 2-3 kps ?? Is this usual for a normal telephone line??<br><br>I have looked at transfer rates for internet browsing and I am getting 28.8 kps....<br><br>Muchly Apreciated<br><br>Dumbfounded in Australia

For a 28.8 connection that is what you can expect but a 56k modem is capable of going close to 7kbps a sec by fcc regs. if you connect at 54667 which is the highest i've ever seen<br> <p>Ladin<br><a href=mailto:matchu_14@hotmail.com>matchu_14@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tech support for 1 1/2 years, build computers, messed with C, HTML, Working on Flash, Role-Playing Game Junkie (Diablo2)

2-3 kilobytes per second is correct for 28800 bits per second (do the maths, 1024 bits per kilobyte). However, if you have V90 drivers loaded for your modem, and your ISP supports V90, you should be connecting at at least 44000 bits per second. <br>If your drivers are OK and your ISP supports V90, your line is at fault and you should take it up with your phone co.<br> <p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I assemble and sell these things.

This trick may help with your connection and download speed. This does not work on all modems, if you find it is slower after doing this just remove the string.

What you do is go to Control Panel /Modems/ Proporties button/ click on connection Tab/ then advanced button, in the extra settings box add this string ATS27=64S15=128 then click ok/ok and close, then try to download something from the net and see if it helps, as stated above this helps with most V90 modems but on a few it will slow down the connection instead of speeding it up, if it does slow down just go back and remove the string. [sig]<p> Glenn<br><a href=mailto: glenns@wtco.net> glenns@wtco.net</a><br><a href= Glenn & Jims Bass Fishing Site</a><br> [/sig]

Okay. I'll open my mouth about something I don't know enough about in the hope I'll find out something new.
(I usually find out there's way more to learn)
Doesn't download speed also depend in some degree on the site you're from which you're downloading?
Sometimes when the connection speed seems to be great I get on a site that dogs the bejeezus outta' me.
Another thing I'm wondering about is: once you're connected does the ISP route you to another (maybe slower) connection? There are times when things seem to be going great and then you seem to hit a wall where surfing is concerned.
There you have it...ending in a question that should probably have been asked in the ISP thread.
Just maybe someone will know.
John Payne [sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Yes the site you are downloading from has a big impact on how quickly you will transfer information. What you are referring to most likely, when it seems like your connection is going great then dies is mostly likely caused by your modem. You may be connected at 53333 then a wave of noise may come over the line and it will cause your modem to &quot;retrain&quot; and basically drop your current connection and try and get a better or more stable connection. I've seen people be connected at a v.90 standard(which is the fastest) then retrain and drop down to v.34 standard which is 33.6 or lower, which can obviously cause noticible speed changes. Also, Winmodems are alot more likely to be affected by line conditions etc and therefore retrain and drop connections more often. You definitely want to get a hardware modem if possible. [sig]<p>Ladin<br><a href=mailto:matchu_14@hotmail.com>matchu_14@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tech support for 1 1/2 years, build computers, messed with C, HTML, Working on Flash, Role-Playing Game Junkie (Diablo2)[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back