Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What solutions are you using? Remote Access to corporate network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ei8ball

MIS
Jul 17, 2002
US
I have been given the task of coming up with a solution that would allow a person from my company to have access to the same resources from home that they would in their office. ie; home directory, email and internet/intranet, etc. I would like for them to be able to do this over the internet. In other words I don't want them dialing directly into one of my servers. Is anyone doing this and if so what are you using and do you like it?

Is Terminal Server a product I should be looking at?

Thanks for any input!!!

Jason You were born an original. Don't die a copy!

My company uses an Nortel Contivity VPN switch. It allows you to map drives, use corporate email etc. Almost like being at work. It's also very secure by using IPsec and 2 factor authentication which the company demanded before allowing a PC from an untrusted network access to corporate resources.

Cheers

Sifer

You don't have to have the user s dial direct into your servers you could install a NAS for them to access

eg Cisco 5350 with 60/120/210 ani/digi ports
the 120 port version will cost about $25k - $28k

depending on authentication type & other factors this will allow 56k/64k or 128k.

Should you decide the VPN route you should consider a couple of things

1) how will the users access the internet ?
2) if they are using "work" equipment you will want to include firewall software
3) What authenticatiuon type will they use - (2 factor is best)
4) What connection type is used (remenber most ISP's will only allow 64k ISDN access)
5) if they travel abroad how will they gain access
6) What internet conection do you have as a VPN will use this bandwith, and you may have to look at increasing the size, to prevent this reducing the capasity for the office user when accessing the "internet"

All the best
H [thumbsup2]

What ever VPN solution you decide on, make sure you have support resources that can help DSL/Cable/LAN end-users deal with issues relating to routers (NAT, ports, etc). IPSEC/VPN is a nasty mess and even advanced users will have trouble.

Do I sound bitter? Hmm, maybe I am ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back