Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what should I learn first HTML, XML or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babsjoy

Programmer
Sep 1, 2003
US
I am interested advancing my career and becoming more marketable. I would like to start developing websites. I previously developed in COBOL now I am using PL/SQL. What do you suggest I learn first HTML, XML, or some other language?

Im not an XML master by any means, I would recommend you just start out with HTML because it's probably closer to COBOL than any other web design "language".

Just my opinion

Thanks monksnake, thats what I thought. I started reading the XML tutorial on W3C schools website and after the DTD section I quickly lost the picture.

I would suggest that you take the tutorials at for a decent overview of the various technologies.

I really do not regard XML as a 'language' (despite the categorization of this Forum), but rather a data representation mechanism.

If you are to learn HTML, then be sure you learn the newer XHTML variant. XHTML is HTML that obeys the rules of XML.

I would also totally disagree WRT relationship between COBOL and HTML. I speak with considerable authority (just check my web site). There is a strong resemblence between COBOL's data representation model (i.e. the record layout) and XML's tree structured data representation model. It makes writing web service wrappers for COBOL (web service uses XML to represent the desired service and its input and output 'parameters') almost too easy.

Tom Morrison

In the way that I mention HTML being closer to COBOL has to do with the fact that HTML is less cryptic than XML and COBOL was designed with the idea of using common english for commands. HTML tags and elements use a very "uncryptic" syntax. In that way, it resembles COBOL.

Thanks everyone, I signed up to learn HTML on I have not started yet but it looks like they send you a weekly syllabus and give you weekly lessons to practice what you have learned. I learn better by doing not just reading. This class also will discuss XTML.
Upon completion, students who pass a skills test will receive a certificate marking their successful completion of the course. My company likes to see those certificates.

Thanks again !!!

If you want to develop a website, you need to know HTML. I think you have no choice here.

I also think HTML is as complicated as XML. Basic HTML and XML is almost the same. Add DTD to XML or CSS to HTML, you'll get it harder. Add XSLT and AJAX, same thing.

It will depend where you want to go.

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back