Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What should I do

Status
Not open for further replies.

ama299

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
US
Greetings,

I will will be setting up a DSL connection for a small office with 5 computers that will need to be connected, and the people work from home using PCanywhere. I'm trying to decide which Cisco router I should go with, and I how good the is the Statefull firewall that is inclueded with some of these router, will I still need more firewall software? or should I just go and buy a modem\router built into one from the ISP, and go buy ZoneAlarm Pro. I'm just trying to find the cheapest way. or the best way.
The all in one from the ISP is 200$ plus I would need 200$ for the zone alerm software. Some of the cisco routers I have looked with the firewall built have been about 500$ this was in the 800 series routers.

Any help would be great
Thanks

Watchguard makes a small firewall that is suitable for small offices, this Soho firewall has VPN support and it's not really that difficult to set it up at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be content with being average. Average is as close to the bottom as it is to the top
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goto to Ebay and shop for a WebRamp 700S. They run about 100 dollars US for a 10 or 25 user licensed units. These were made under license by SonicWall for WebRamp. WebRamp is no more but the units are reliable and very easy to configure.

The Cisco PIX 501 is available for 401.99 US which is a bargin given how flexible it is. Again, this is for the 10 user license.

One way to get around the 10 user count limit is this:

internet-----webramp----1605---LAN

The webramp etc only sees the IP from the 1605 which is NATing the LAN. An easier plug and play config is

internet----webramp/pix---switch----LAN

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back