Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What should I do to copy IOS from one switch to another ??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

debcu

Technical User
Sep 3, 2004
PL
I have two switches WS-C2950T-24. One of it have damaged IOS ( IOS Ver.: 12.1(13)EA1 ), it can't even boot. When I'm trying to "enable" it, I received message that this command is unknown or sth like that. I want to copy IOS from good one to damaged one. What should I do??? I read sth on CISCO web but ther's no information about commands whitch should I use. Could someone help me???
IT'S VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME!!!
Thanks.

First you need to get the switch to boot before you can copy IOS to it. Copy the working switch IOS to your TFTP server then copy it from the TFTP to the other switch.
On a router you would use "copy tftp flash" look at Cisco site for the correct command for 2950 switches.

To Jamin123:
Sorry for delay but I have few days off. Could you help me because I don't know what should I do to make TFTP server and how copy this IOS to it. I do as you wrote but at CISCO web I didn't found any usfull information.

The below link should help with the recovery procedure for the bad switch.

To retreive the IOS from the good switch, you will need a TFTP server running on your computer.
At the prompt, enter the priviieged EXEC mode by typing "enable", then hit enter.
You will need the file name of the IOS, you can get this by typing "show version".
type "copy flash tftp"
Enter the requsted info, (i.e. file name, server address, etc.).
Best 'O luck.

Just to add to this, once you have a copy of your IOS on your computer via tftp, burn a copy onto a CD. I've gotten into the habit of backing up all of my IOS images to CD from all of my equipment as soon as I turn them on for the first time (and of course anytime I upgrade). It can be a life saver.

I always keep at least two CDs (duplicates) containing all IOS images I have and all config files. Saved me many times.

BierHunter
CNE, MCSE, CCNP

I do it as you all said, but I received strange message. I made a printscreens, they're on this URL:

If I have this IOS, what should I also do to copy it to this wrong one???

On the bad one you need to "dir flash:"

then if it has a good IOS image on there, do 'boot flash:(filename here)'

Your bad switch is sitting in "rommon" mode.. So we need to get it booted before anything..

BuckWeet

OK, but I still don't know what should I do to copy it to tftp. I copy running-config and it's OK, but I can not copy image file. I received this message:
%Error opening flash:c2950-i6q412-mz.121-13.EA1.bin (No such file or directory).

When I make "show version" I saw this information:
System image file is: "flash:/c2950-i6q412-mz.121-13.EA1.bin"

I tried do this way:
copy flash tftp
Source filename? c2950-i6q412-mz.121-13.EA1.bin (I wrote it)
Address or name of remote host? 10.39.220.133 (I wrote it)
Destination filename? c2950-i6q412-mz.121-13.EA1.bin (I wrote it)

and then I received message about wrong file name or directory.

Could some one help me????

Step 1
A. download the correct IOS for you switch from CCO.
or
B. TFTP the IOS from the goos switch to your PC
copy flash:c2950-i6q412-mz121-13.EA1.bin tftp

Step 2
use xmodem to copy the image to the bad 2950

- open hyperterm and open console session
- once the switch boots in rommmon, change the baud rate
switch: set baud 115200
- change the settings on your hyperterm to the new baud rate of 115200
- here is the xmodem procedures

1.switch:flash_init
2.Switch:load_help
3.Switch:copy xmodem: flash:c2950-i6q412-mz121-13.EA1.bin
4.than start your xmodem on the hyperterm
5. after Images finish copying set the boot env.
Switch:set BOOT flash:c2950-i6q412-mz121-13.EA1.bin
Switch:reset

Please note the the Flash_Init and the boot_help commands are from the 3550 switch, this command may not be needed for the 2950. Also look up how to start xmodem and how to change your Hyperterm baud rate before you begin this procedure.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back