Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What should I buy? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DColcl

MIS
Sep 22, 2003
US
I have been told that my company will need to attain a PGP compatible software so that when a Vendor sends us an encrypted file, we can decrypt it.

The Vendor is using McAfee's server encryption software which costs an ungodly amount of money. In speaking to them, the said that "ANY" encryption software will work....as long has it's "PGP Compatible". I was told that I can buy such software for about $100. When I google, I only find tons of information about PGP, but nothing that is inexpensive.

I am EXTREMELY new at this so my question is this...

What is a good software to buy, that costs about $200 or so, that I can use to decrypt the file?

Thank you for any help,

Danny

Depending on what operating system you're using, you could use GPG which is freeware, although I'm not sure there is an available version for Windows. If you have any Unix like Linux/BSD/Solaris machines on your network, you can get by with GPG and pay nothing. Got a spare old machine lying around? Install Linux, BSD, or something and save a couple of dollars, else, obviously you could write off the business expense.

sil

Thanks for the update. Would you know of anything for Windows based computers?
Thank you, Sil.

I use GnuPG on windows and it basically behaves exactly as the linux versions. It's very stable but development is steady and bugs are squished pretty quickly. A bit of scripting will of course be needed but it can be made to do all sorts. You can buy support if you like but I've no experience of this - just a home user.

I also use PGP Desktop 8.1, but this won't be cheap for a company roll-out. PGP Universal is the new product being pushed for companies but again, not cheap.

Seems there are a few companies offering versions of PGP for enterprises - again, I've no experience of these, but you'll probably find all the core functionality needed in GnuPG.

The GnuPG lists are very helpful if you want to try this out:

Good luck,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back