Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What router should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am a beginner in cisco networking.&nbsp;&nbsp;I want to buy an Ethernet router for use within an intranet but not connected to the T1.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have several segments I want to connect with this router, and implement packet-filtering using the router.&nbsp;&nbsp;Which model of Cisco Router should I buy?&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>What exactly is the cisco 2501?&nbsp;&nbsp;It only has 1 ethernet port, that connects to the LAN.&nbsp;&nbsp;What does it also connect to????<br><br>Thank you very much for answers

get 2611/2621.. it is a modular router and has 2 ethernet port and 2&nbsp;&nbsp;serial wide area interface card. Get the version 12 of cisco ios coz it supports more feature. If you have several segments i advise u to have a layer 3 switch on top of your router. in this case a single ethernet port is enough.

If you're going to route lan segments, buy a cabletron ssr-2000. It comes with 16ea. 10/100 ports, and room for 16 more. It can also accomodate serial interfaces, fiber, anything you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back