Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What router should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanPopescu

Technical User
Dec 25, 2004
CA
I have recently bought a laptop I want to buy a wireless router. And I want to buy one around 200 USD. I have cable high speed internet.
I am thinking to buy one router to allow me on my desktop to have almost the same connection speed to the internet. (My Desktop will be connected through cable to the router)
My friend has the same connections: laptop - wireless and desktop - through cable. But he got some problems with his Linksys wrt54g. He couldn't stay connected to his wireless connection. He is using now a DLink DI624.
But as I know you have 100 MBPS connection through cable using this one.
I was thinking to buy a D-Link / DIR-655 with wireless N
Is around 150USD.
What do you thik is worth it?

Or should I buy cheaper?

Thank you

DanPopescu said:
But as I know you have 100 MBPS connection through cable using this one.

DanPopescu,

Typical home cable Internet speeds in the US is 1.5-2.5 MBPS, not 100. The router may transfer files at a claimed 108 Mbps, but that is marketing hype and actual transfer speeds are way less than that.

Pre-N is not a good investment in my opinion, as the official 802.11N spec has not yet been approved (as far as I know). Doubtful you would see the speeds they claim either. Please note the 54Mbps of 802.11G is not all that either, but it's the best available within the defined spec of 802.11G. I will admit it is tempting to try out a MIMO pre-N wireless setup. Some companies (like D-link) claim 108 Mbps ONLY when you use their card and have "Super-G" enabled on both the router and the card, again marketing hype.

There are also gaming routers available with packet prioritization, if you're an online gamer you will want to have a look at those.

Now for buying advice: I have tried them all and agree with your sentiment on the Linksys. I tested (4) wireless router brands in my double-wide trailer office, D-Link, SMC, Netgear, and Linksys. D-link had the best radio, Linksys the worst as far as range. Losers went on eBay!

I chose the D-link DWL-2100 (Access Points have stronger radios than routers) and the DI-804HV VPN/router, along with an 8-port D-Link gigabit switch. This way, the wired gigabit computers can communicate faster with each other, and the wireless PCs get the strongest radio of the lot I tested.

I also recommend sticking with one brand from NIC to router as Tech Support can not blame it on the competitor's gear in the middle.

Please note these model #s are a year or more old and may have been replaced with newer models. Best of luck!

Tony

Dan,
I think the main point to consider is that even an old Wireless A or B router at 11Mbps is a lot faster than cable or DSL broadband connections (wahnula touched on that). The only time you really need to consider having Wireless G or N is if you have more than 2 computers on wireless, or if you plan on doing a lot of file-sharing/streaming on your home network.

Also the prices you listed for those routers seem way too high to me. I just bought a used D-Link Wireless G router off of eBay for $15. Of course, that was a good deal but I've seen a lot go for under $40.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

So if I understood correctly I have to buy one of the cheapest router I can find -an old model
Those routers will ensure me the best speed on my cable connection between internet and pc-desktop through the router?
This is the thing I am looking for from the router

You don't have to, but to save money it's not a bad idea.

From PC to internet, any wireless router will be fine and plenty fast enough.

From PC to PC, only wireless G or N is going to give you the type of speeds you'd want to have when transferring/sharing large files.

Don't forget that you can probably find a really good deal on eBay, especially if you don't care about buying new...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Other considerations:

Reliability: I like

Software utilities:
Some are better than others, setup can be made much easier with more user friendly software ie: security encription etc.

Built in ADSL modem? : would it be better to buy a router with a built in modem? most are now and this does make the overall setup easier.

Lastly

Range:
This is the biggy! this can vary tremendously between different makes/models of wireless router.

Hope this helped
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Sorry
[2thumbsup]
Reliability: I meant to say I like Belkin.

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thank you for your answers
The deal with the router has to allow multiple connection. I don't know how to explain but I am watching a lot of P2P Tv.(for example TV NOO, TV ANTZ, SOPCAST) I know that certain router block themselves and you have to reset the router in order to keep going.
Thanks again

I'm surprised that your friend has been having problems with his Linksys.

I've been using Linksys wireless routers for a long time, and just recently upgraded my home system to the WRT54G without a hitch. Works flawlessly.

I would recommend that your friend try a different wireless channel, if he's having connection issues.

Or, he can also get one of the high-gain antenna kits (I have one at home)... my router is in the basement, and reaches all the way to the attic with no issues with the high-gain antenna.

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

Went from a Belkin 54G to a Linksys router. I like Linksys since it doesn't disconnect me on a wired connection whenever if feels like it.

-Laughter works miracles.

gbaughma,
routers seem to work great up and down....not as well laterally. its all in the way the frequency waves work... high gain antenna's are a great idea. Hawking technologies has great long range antenna's (I recommend the directional antenna)

I am not as impressed with wireless N. I have achieved way better signals with external antennas and repeaters running wireless G. I set up a 10 block business sector for a small town trying to woo the business crowd with free internet. on the side most of the businesses are using the internal net as their private communications. they also tied in a mailserver

I stay away from Linksys...too many problems with router drop outs where you have to reset the router. most of those issues stems from if one computer has their internet tweaked and they communicate with the router and ask for more then 255 internal connections the router locks up.
Belken and D-Link do not have this issue as they internally limit and put any extra connections on hold till a slot is available without locking up the router

example ...internet explorer opens as an average 2 connections per resource on the page...so all the pictures (if at another site) advertisement and such can use up to 20 or more connections...usually the connections stand in line waiting to connect...so open a bunch of explorer pages while listening to internet radio while in Chat...and wooolaa one overwhelmed router

Then add another computer....that is fileshareing....ouch!

Ok so what i understand
I will not buy a Linksys and probably I will buy a Dlink
What about US Robotics ar HotBrick Or Netgear?

...and they communicate with the router and ask for more then 255 internal connections the router locks up...

Interesting..... is there a workaround for that? Something in the registry perhaps that can "lock down" the number of requests it will make?

I only ask, because my router occasionally locks up... and it seems to be when my brother-in-law is doing torrents....

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

Here is a great article on router security

as for US Robotics ar HotBrick Or Netgear I don't know enough about them ....Microsoft has a good router though but it does the same as the linksys on the 255 limitation

I have foumd the higher quality routers that are designed for gaming usually work great...I use the D-Link Gamers router and I have only had to reset it once in 2 years...because of a power outage

my son uses torrent and you can limit the requests in the torrent software

I have had his torrent and my emule going at the sametime with no issues other than slower surfing

gbaughma,
look in your routers menu and see it you can limit that way too

my 2¢

Stay away from Linksys. As a consultant who works with a lot of home users and small businesses, I've seen a lot of routers. About half have been Linksys. You know which ones I've seen fail? Only Linksys (and one US Robotics, but they aren't really a major brand anymore).

The ones I recommend and have not seen fail: SMC.
I'll also suggest Belkin and Netgear.

There's really little point in spending so much on a router unless you want to set it up as a "pay as you go" cafe router or want some SERIOUS management capabilities that no home user really has or even thinks about.

As for the speeds of your internet connection, you need to contact your cable company and find out how fast they claim they are - get hard numbers (not "5x faster than DSL" type statements). In my area, I have 30 Mbit cable modem connections. Which would require a GOOD 54Mbit Wireless router to take full advantage (wirelessly) of your connection. But keep in mind, MANY web sites don't have internet connections that fast. So even if you have a 30 mbit connection, some sites may only download at 1.5Mbit or less. IN GENERAL, your Wireless connection, regardless of wireless standard, will likely be faster than your actual internet connection.

Lastly, when possible, I recommend going wired if you need real speed. Wireless is subject to interference from many sources including microwave ovens, cordless phones, and other sources (including your neighbors devices). While IN GENERAL they work fine, if you do find yourself with odd issues, keep in mind it could be interference. A cable will be nearly as susceptible to interference (it's not immune, but it MUCH less likely to be affected).

I've got the Linksys wrt54g with speedboost. Worked fine except for the fact that the cpu oscilated between 0-80% continually. Thats not good.

I uninstalled the Linksys wireless client software and reinstalled with just the driver. Now the cpu idles at 0-5% where it should be.

lwcomputing puts up some good points, I use the D-Link Gamers router because it's internal NAT connections is a 1000 speed network.(it's the only one that fast I have found) I do alot of file transfer between my computers(I have 8) and run both a private FTP server and a private HTTP/HTTPS server. I also pay for the business connection for comcast cable. once a week my son hosts a game that he plays using Hamachi (VPN) so he can connect to at least (last I checked) about 10 to 15 other people for the game. and the router has no issues at all doing it all at once....LOL

I have set up the "pay as you go" cafe routers and they are not quite what I want for my home system.

I only run one computer wireless because it is in my shop and there is an issue of running wire to it.

if you are renting a place wireless is the way to go ...but...if you own your own place and want a solid connection to the router and any other computer you should go wired

Dan Popescu said:
Ok so what i understand
I will not buy a Linksys and probably I will buy a Dlink
What about US Robotics ar HotBrick Or Netgear?

DanPopescu,

In my impromptu router communication test the netgear was in the middle of the pack, a little weaker radio than the SMC. My problem with the SMC was it did not play well with other devices on my network. I used the SMC wireless router at home for its magnificent firewall and decent range, but configuring its firewall to allow certain traffic is like learning to speak that African click-language. Also, its print server does not work with my printer, one of the main reasons I bought that model, SMC2804WBRP-G. Overall I am pleased for home use, but would not recommend unless you have SMC cards.

When I contacted D-Link for the specs on the radio in their router vs. their WAP, there was about a 30% stronger radio in the WAP. The tech admitted that alll radios in routers were watered-down access points, so I recommend a separate wireless Access Point and VPN/Router, whichever company you choose, for the most flexibility and power. You will have two dedicated full-strength devices rather than compromising on a combo router/WAP. Just remember you will need to disable DHCP in one of the devices.

And, for radio amplification, it's hard to beat Wireless Range Extender!
Let us know what you decide!

Tony

I have bought Dlink DIR 665 and D-Link / Xtreme / DWA-652 / 300Mbps / 802.11n (Draft N) / PCMCIA / Wireless Network Adapter
And I am very happy with it. Exactly what I need it
Thank you for yor input
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back