Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what programs do i need in task manager??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy7386

Technical User
Feb 17, 2006
GB
When i open up task manager there are loads of programs running i wouls like to know what are the essentials just so i can run them on their own to see how my pc speeds up?

If you want to adjust programs that are starting up, that is not the way to do it. Go to start, run, then type msconfig and hit enter. Click the startup tab on the far right. The only programs that need to be running are firewall and antivirus. Everything else should be unchecked for best performance.

electronicsfreak - bit sweeping! If they're running XP firewall, it won't appear on the list. And they may have other apps (like anti-spyware, print monitor) that they should have running at startup.

See if anything here helps?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

Disable, not uninstall, any unused network adapters.

cheers all
processes 30 cpu usage 2% commit charge 170/1249 with internet explorer running do these figures seem ok?

I don't see anything alarming about those figures, they look quite good in fact. That's all they are however, "figures", you will know from actual performance (and feel) when your machine is unhealthy and in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back