Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What problems are there with Running Totals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

retro

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
SI

Hi all. I've read a few times people recommending that RT's are avoided due to their frailty..are they just generally dodgy or is it in one particular way that they are not totally reliable?? all advice welcome as I need to choose whether I start to use RTs or stick with lots of formulae, as I've done up til now

Thanks

First of all, you have to define your need. After that, you can choose the method of reach your goal. Using Running Totals is a straight forward procedure, but you have to make sure: When to Evaluate and when to Reset. For default, you evaluate for each record. Sometimes, you need to evaluate for each group. The same would be true for reset.
Just start using Running Totals and when you realize that you could be do your job with that feature, then use the formulas. I could not find a golden rule to tell you, but you would gain your own experience when you start using Running Totals. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back