Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What port does DTMF use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzinz

Technical User
Aug 19, 2009
US
When users are prompted to enter their voicemail password, they hit the buttons, but the call control server doesn't seem to recognize that any input was given.

I would like to packet sniff the traffic if possible.

What port does DTMF use?

Are the users local or offsite (Teleworker)?
What sets are affected (IP/Digital/Analog)?
Are all sets giving this issue?
System Type...
EMEM voicemail or external (Nupoint)?
Any new recent changes to system?

You can call to VM but cannot maneuver around VM?

A few sets are using TW config, although ONLY the non-TW sets are having the issue.
They use 5330's.
System is 3300.
Not sure what EMEM voicemail is - they are using embedded voicemail though.
There were recently some changes on their router to NAT and ACL's - These changes should not have affected anything, but who knows.

I'm a network engineer and I made the changes on the router which is why I was wondering what port DTMF ran on.

Did you recently upgrade your phone controller but not upgrade the Teleworker?

I've seen your issue several times with older TW software.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

From the technicians handbook.

Function Port/Socket Number
IP Trunk (unsecured) 1066
IP Trunk (SSL) 1067
Software Log 1750
Maintenance Log 1751
SMDR 1752
PMS/Hotel Logs 1753 (only one direction)
LPR1 (printer port) 1754
UDP/TCP for SIP 5060
TLS (transport layer security) for SIP 5061
E2T to RTC (SSL) 6000
Set to ICP (Unsecured) 6800
Set to ICP (SSL) 6801
Set to ICP (Secure Minet) 6802
PMS for voice mail port 6830
E2T voice UDP ports (prior to
Release 6.0)
RTP/UDP 5000 to 5512
E2T voice UDP ports (Release 6.0 to
Release 8.0 UR4 inclusive)
RTP/UDP 50000 to 50255
E2T voice UDP ports (Release 9.0
UR4 and later)
RTP/UDP 50000 to 50511
RTC TCP 6800
IP Sets TCP 6900
IP Sets - Voice B1/B2, Rx RTP/UDP 50000/50511
IP Sets - Voice B1/B2, Tx RTP/UDP 50000/50511
ACD Real Time Event 15373
IP PMS (Release 6.0) 15374
5550 Console Keypad to Console PC
(See Note)
6800 (PC must allow inbound TCP sessions to
port 10000)
Console PC to ICP (See Note) 6800, 7011, 1606

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Any clue which one of those DTMF falls under?

DTMF doesn't use a 'port' on it's own, the data is sent via the same RTP stream as the audio. The differentiation between voice and DTMF is in the payload type within the RTP packet, usually 96 or 101.

..but YnotPhone is correct. To determine why it doesn't work, you'll need to be more specific as to what endpoints, trunks and systems are being used.

@Irwin

What other information would help? I replied to his original post. Let me know if I missed something.

Also - if it uses the same stream as the RTP... Voice is working perfectly, so that tells me it likely isn't a problem with the routing (ACL's or NAT).

Sorry, missed that post, however a particular call scenario would be good. For example. If I have a 5330 set registered to the 3300 (what platform type is the 3300?), i.e. not using any trunking or TW, does this work? If it does, what scenarios doesn't it work?

EMEM is Embedded Voicemail, the one you configure via ESM.

No, I wouldn't say that. Since you can hear voicemail, that only means that the one direction is good, doesn't mean anything about the other direction (phone to 3300). Sniff at the phone and make sure that it's streaming to the same address/port that it's receiving from. Or, use the e2tshow command on the 3300 when a call is up to make sure that the 3300 is getting packets from the phone, probably you're easiest/best bet.

sounds more like a one-way audio issue to me.
do you have analog ONS ports? configure an analog phone and try from it (my guess is it will work)
what type of trunks do you have? do trunk calls work?
are your phones and 3300 on the same IP subnet? if not, then you must have it wide open between the subnets (a router NOT a firewall).
if your TW phones work and your local phones don't then double check your IP configurations.

Since they can use the phones and talk to people, that means both directions are OK, right?

To be clear: Standard phone calls work perfectly.

No, standard phone calls go set to set, voicemail goes set to controller. Different.

What if the call is off-net though?

'Off-net'? Not sure what that means, but it doesn't matter. Bottom line is when you talk to voicemail, the stream goes from the set to the controller. Doesn't matter where the set is, the stream has to make it to the controller.

K. I understand.

I was referring to when you talk to a person who is not on the same local network, ie a cell phone. I'm not a big phone guy, if you haven't noticed ;)

I'll do some testing between the phone and the controller.

What steps are used...
-> IP set user calls the Voicemail Hunt group -> Call goes to Voicemail and is answered -> IP User tries to input DTMF codes to enter Voicemail ->

-What happens then?
-Is there anything displayed on the set?
-You stated that this only happens to internal phones?
-Are all phone with issue on the same Switch?
-Can the phones call each other and what if you pressed the key pad can you hear the DTMF tones?

OOps I was sitting on my question for a while, didn't see your new responses....

What steps are used...
-> IP set user calls the Voicemail Hunt group -> Call goes to Voicemail and is answered -> IP User tries to input DTMF codes to enter Voicemail ->

-What happens then? **Call Controller acts like it is not "hearing" the DTMF input. "Please enter your password", user enters password, short delay, "Please enter your password"...
-Is there anything displayed on the set? *Nothing out of ordinary*
-You stated that this only happens to internal phones? *It is not affecting TW phones, so yes*
-Are all phone with issue on the same Switch? *Yes, and more importantly, same router*
-Can the phones call each other and what if you pressed the key pad can you hear the DTMF tones? *Yes. I just called a user and I could hear her entering DTMF on keypad*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back