Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What permissions to access an ftp site with read/write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cckrocks

Programmer
Jan 17, 2001
US
I want to limit access to an ftp site Win2000/IIS to one user. However I am not able to log on to the ftp with the user name I assigned. It was just given regular user permissions. I don't want to give unnecessary permissions to this account, just what is necessary to read/write files in this directory. What permissions must I set up?

Try using an alternative ftp server as IIs relys on nt authentication, so as you add more sites you end up with a stupid amount of user accounts, try serv-u ftp from deerfield.com it allows you to set up ftp acounts with stand alone permissions

Thanks I'll give that a shot. It does seem silly to have to have a Admin level account to be able to upload files to an ftp.

You need the log on locally right. The admin already has those rights which is why you are able to ftp successfully. The best thing to do is to create a new user with only minimal rights and permissions and add the log on locally right (I used default guest user as a template). You should now be able to ftp with that user.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back