Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What need to communicate PB8 with Oracle 9 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yu2k

Programmer
Mar 19, 2003
GB
If I add driver to Orarcle9 only. Is this enough?

To connect to an Oracle Database from PB (or any other application) you must first have the Oracle Client installed on your computer. (Check with your admin for license issues and install.) The Oracle client is an install that comes with the Oracle database CD. It is the communication application that allows your computer to talk to the Oracle database over a network. I recommend that during the install, you select Developer Install. This will give you tools like "SQLplus". Once the install is done, you will be prompted to try and connect to an Oracle database on the network. (You will need the Oracle Database "SID", "USER NAME", "PASSWORD".) You may need your DBA group to assist you with this process if you have never done it before or do not recognize the information I have just given.

After you have installed the Oracle client and verified that you can connect to the Oracle Database's USER, you know your Oracle connection is good and you are ready to work with PowerBuilder.

First you must verify that you have installed the Oracle drivers. If not, you must run the PB install in Custom mode and select the Oracle drivers. (In older versions of PB, the Oracle drivers were not part of the Default Install and the user was forced to do a Custom Install to get the necessary drivers.) To check if you have the drivers, go to the database profile area in powerbuilder and it will show you the available databases you have drivers for by displaying them as a category. If Oracle appears in the list, you are ready to create your DB Profile. I recommend de-selecting the checkbox for quotes around SQL syntax, which can be found on a tab in the profile when creating it. This is because Oracle is typically not case sensative but quoted object names force Oracle to look at the case and could create problems.

IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME PB has connected to that database, you will need to know the SYSTEM USER's password. The default for this user, prior to Oracle 9i, is MANAGER. (While you may find this in a development environment, no DBA should ever leave this default password on a production database, so you may need to ask your DBA for assistance.) (You will not be logging into this user more than once, PB just needs to add some tables to the SYSTEM user's schema.)

Once you right click on your new profile and connect as SYSTEM/MANAGER the first time, PB will install the necessary tables. FYI, I have had problems with PB7 not being able to do this and had to use PB6.5 to create the tables the first time. After the PB connects that first time, go back into the DB Profile that you just created and change the USER and Password from SYSTEM to your actual schema.

Hopefully this helps put you in the right direction. Remember to first check to see if you have the Oracle Client running on your computer. No driver will help you connect to oracle without it. Secondly, check to see if your client is configured to connect to the database you are wanting access to. (This is found in your NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA file of your OracleHome directory) If you are not familiar with this then I suggest you ask your DBA group for assistance. Finally, check to ensure that you have the PB native drivers from the install and if not, re-install PB using the custom install for the Oracle drivers.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back