Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What must be done to make a computer a "kiosk"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbAndEdnaWeinstein

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Hi, I'm using Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP clients.

I'm trying to set up some computers for public use. They should only be able to do two things:

1) Open IE and browse certain websites.

2) Open and use a certain application.

Here's some things they should not be able to do:

1) Browse folders.

2) Create or delete files (other than the necessary system files, temp internet files, etc...).

I have an idea that figuring out how to do all of this piece by piece might be "reinventing the wheel".

Any ideas on where I should get started?

Thanks for any help,
herbie

That's getting warmer; thanks for the help.

I can figure out how to access the Group Policy console and how to create and filter the "Kiosk" policy. I also added users and computers in question to a "Kiosk" security group. The scope of the "Kiosk" policy is being enforced for the "Kiosk" security group.

However, I still can't figure out why the policy is not taking effect when I log on as the correct user on the correct computer.

Thanks again,
rs

are you adding the users to a group or placing them in the OU for the kiosk? the users and computers have to be inside the correct OU that has the strict settings. Settings are not applied to groups in an OU. Let me know if this helps.

I create the Kiosk policy, then I right-click on the domain and select "Link an Existing GPO". Then I select the Kiosk policies for both User and Computer.

I set the filters on these policies so only those computers and users I'm interested in may be affected by the policy.

That's not working, for some reason.

Thanks,
Herbie

I have not used the filters option that you are talking about... what i would do it create a new OU called Kiosk and then apply that policy to that OU and then place the user and computer in that OU with the policy. Try that and see if it will work and if it does then we can go from there to get the other way to work... Also, how many DC do you have because it may take a few minutes to replicate the policy before its applied.

I've created a new OU called "Kiosk".

I've created a user inside it called "KioskUser", and I've moved the computer inside it, and renamed the computer to "KIOSK001".

I've got a Kiosk-User and a Kiosk-Computer policy. I've linked those to the Kiosk OU. "Enforced" is turned on for each policy.

I also give Authenticated Users and KioskUser "Read" permission for each Kiosk policy.

I run the Group Policy Results Wizard to see the results. I simulate KioskUser logged on to KIOSK001.

Ths Group Policy Results Wizard summary, for Computer, shows the Kiosk policies blocked for reason "Inaccessible".

Ths Group Policy Results Wizard summary, for Computer, shows 2 policies with unknown names (it appears to show a GUID) blocked for reason "Inaccessible".

Thanks again for any help,
rs

Oops: the last paragraph should read like this:

The Group Policy Results Wizard summary, for **USER**, shows 2 policies with unknown names (it appears to show a GUID) blocked for reason "Inaccessible".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back