Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What model do I need

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanCN

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2006
US
If anyone is familiar with the Netgear FVS318 routers would you be albe to recommend a 3com replacement. The FVS318 OK as a firewall/router (I don't use the VPN) however it has a flaw in its firmware that only lets me create internal rules for the network segment that it is on.

I have separated my network into two segments - 192.168.x.x and 192.168.y.y. Since the netgear is on x.x as the default gateway to the Internet no rule can be made to control y.y

The netgear is able to do the following:

- Forward ports from the Internet
-- Forward those ports based on IP addresses and ranges if desired.
- Block internal ports from reaching the Internet
-- Blocks based on IP range
-- Order of rule allow block or overide depending on priority
- Email Logs
-- You decide what rules get logged.
-- Can also log to syslog server.

The most important question here is:

Whats your budget?

or even better question, when you get hacked, how much is your customers data or your networks reliability worth?

3com makes a device called the x506 firewall. It's a very strong product as it is able to do, Anti-virus, content filtering, IPS, it will also serve as a router with 5 different network sones. You can shape traffic or limit bandwidth with the device.

I suggest you take a look at this.

I think it's pretty lame Netgear limited the firmware so that you can only create rules for the subnet of the LAN interface and nothing else. If you haven't replaced the thing yet and you don't often need to modify the rules for the y.y network you can momentarily change the LAN subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and it will allow you to create and apply rules for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back