Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What MCSA 2003 Elective to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekwa

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2005
US
Hi all,
I have been studying my butt off and taken (and passed) the 70-270, 70-290, and 70-291 exams over the past 60 days. I am really tired of reading about Microsoft so I ask this:

If I have little or no knowledge of SMS, ISA server, SQL server, or MS Security…which elective exam would you recommend taking (easiest). I am one test away from MCSA and really looking for the quickest path.
Thanks!

None of those subjects are easy.

They will all requiring some serious studying.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

I think ISA will be the easiest to understand ...

But SQL will give you an advantage in the future ;)

derekwa,

If you've passed 70-270, 70-290, and 70-291, and you want a break from Microsoft exams, the CompTIA Security+ exam is not too difficult, and counts as an elective for both MCSA and MCSE.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

If you are going to take one, you might as well make it count. Take the Exchange or SQL exams and you might actually get something out of it. The reason I say this is because all you have to do is look at hiring adds, and these two are what people look for the most out of the MCSE MCSA tracks.

Certainly I took the SQL admin exam, and am now finding it very useful in the workplace. Barely a week goes by without some sort of SQL Server problem...

John

derekwa,

I think it all depends on what goal you're looking to attain. In my case, I was (and am) persuing MCSE: Securty, so Security+ was a good fit for me.

MCSE: Messaging and MCDBA are also in high demand, so you should look into elective(s) that will satisfy the elective requirement for the certification that you ultimately want to persue.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back