Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Linux??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkmart

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2002
SE
Hi
I am new to Linux and wants to know
what Linux/Unix version I should use?
I am going to run MySql on it only!
Hardware is P133,48Mb Ram or PII 266,160Mb Ram.

/Dkmart

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?

Thanks guys!

Very simple install.....

/DKmart

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?

I would recommend Fedora Core, not Mandrake. To this day I can't get the wizards to do what I want them to do. I tried to set up both my wireless card and NIC on my laptop and it would always not setup one of them. Then when I did get the wireless setup, it would remove my configuration as soon as I rebooted. I loaded Fedora Core and is working beautifully. My only problem right now is the default is Gnome not KDE and I can't figure out how to change it. See thread619-726381.

iSeriesCodePoet
iSeries Programmer/Lawson Software Administrator
[pc2]
See my progress to converting to linux.

unixfreak, your mother should wash your mouth out with soap.

I would recomend something a little more thin for hardware like that. Something like slackware maybe. The install is not as hard as people make it cracked up to be and there are step-by-step instructions on the slackware website. After that download webmin ( It will run much better on hardware like that that a newer version of red hat, fedora, mandrake, etc.

I agree with Benji. Slack is pretty easy to install and still runs on 486 hardware. I had Mandrake 9 on a P2 333 and it ran like a 3 legged dog... Other than that a theres a debian mini iso image that just installs the basics then you can just apt-get the rest of the packages you need off the net

If you have not yet tried SuSE 8.2 or later, you do not know how simple This distro is for newbies or experienced ones.
Keep it simple!

Glad to be here!

SuSE 9.0 is my absolute favorite. Installation is simple on everything but my RAID box. (I am sure I need to RTFM.)

Brian G.
Securlon Consulting, LLC

Who is "general failure"?
You have a general failure when the disk is to be read (probably the floppy???)- it's a hardware failure!

Never ever use SUSE.

Redhat is also sick.

I would suggest OpenBSD or NetBSD. It's very small and absolutely stable.
If you like security take OpenBSD cause it't based on security not on speed. From home all ports are closed.

Considering the fact that you have slow hardware and only wish to use MySQL, I would think OpenBSD or FreeBSD would be a good option.
MySQL packages are also available for these distributions.

Don't ever use SuSE. I wouldn't bother with RedHat either from a lot of perspectives.

As mentioned by quite a few by now, a *BSD would be an excellent choice for this hardware and type of job.

Cheers

To each, their own. However, a 133MHz system is too slow to run a GUI - which means a standard installation of Suse / RedHat / Mandrake isn't worthwhile. I prefer Debian, but Slackware is a fairly good alternative (as a COMMAND LINE linux system).

At the end of the day, you want a basic command line interface (think Debian / Slackware / xxxBSD) - GUIs are memory hogs!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Ok.
Considering it is an old system, debian is a good one for this type of hardware.
Now that RedHat has changed a bit, introducing fedora, etc, I suggest to still dabble with red hat. Suse could actually be the least accessible to you unless you buy it. Familiarize with both red hat and suse as well as debian, however, keep in mind to learn say, linux system files and unix/linux command line, then it wouldn't really matter what distro you use as you'll be versatile in linux in general. Some distro have their own ways of doing things so being exposed to a couple of distros can help; knowing how to install them,etc.

Someone mentioned slackware. If you are a beginner, I say, no way jose, not for a beginner.. For that, start with debian.

Openbsd is nice. Have your entree with Linux first & venture out to others.

Glad to be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back