Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what kind of ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecky

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
NL
I need a new UPS, becouse we want to hook up some more stuf.
I calculated about 5382Va, our supplier recomands an 10.815Va UPS. I want a runtime of 30min up to an hour.
Here's a list of what I've got:

3x definity 2232Va
2x screen 250Va
4x switches 1200Va
1x router 400Va
1x Combimux 500Va
8x modem 100Va
1x PC 400Va
------
5082Va

Did this guy do his job well or is he screwing us over?

If you put exactly what you need (as in a 5082 VA UPS), you'll last 5 min.

So, it is normal to put a bigger UPS if you want to last longer.

I don't think your supplier is trying to screw you up.

Check to APC website for a sizing tool, it is quite well done.

Thanx I'll check it out.
happy.gif

If you have 5KVA load you'll want at least a 10KVA UPS system. However, KVa has little to do with run time, only the load that it can handle. run time is figured by teh amount of reserve capacity in the batteries as measured in amp-hours. To increase run time add more batteries in parallel. That will not increase you load capacity in KVA though.

FredUG is right - you need to consider battery runtime separately from max KVA capacity - leave room for growth in the KVA capacity, and condsider how much battery time you need - APC has some new rack mount modular UPS gear that might be right up your alley, or you might want to look at Best Power UPS's - they are used for Call Centers, Emergency Operations centers, etc. You're talking either a large rack or two cabinets, one for the basic UPS, the other for the battery banks. Get it done by a professional electrician, and wired into the power strips/busses in your racks and server room walls.

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back