Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What kind of SDRAM do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiernanf

Technical User
Oct 14, 2001
US
Is there some way via Windows 2000 Pro or some other program to determine the type of memory (SDRAM) that I have? Is it P100 or P133, etc.?

I ran it on this system before I posted...maybe it depends on the system...but it only tells me I have 64 Mb of ram installed.
SiSandra tells me I have 64 mb of SDRAM.

gargouille:

But what speed - 66, 100, 133??

I have SiSoft as well.. Takes up way to much space.. to many resources and is shareware (the freeware version is rudimentary at best)..

Murray

83 Mhz...it's an old Celeron system I'm upgrading for a friend (after I built him a honker). This one will go to his kids
SiSoftware Sandra tells me:
Logical/Chipset Memory Banks
Bank 2 Setting : 32MB SDRAM 2-3-3CL
Bank 3 Setting : 32MB SDRAM 2-3-3CL
Memory Bus Speed : 1x 83MHz (83MHz data rate)
Max. Memory Bandwidth : 664MB/s (estimated)

No doubt, the software is bloated (a la Norton) but Belarc on this system doesn't show much, maybe it's the Win98 interface that does it.

Wonder how kiernanf made out? ROFLMAO

You may want to go into the BIOS and see if it is overclocked as well. Many Celeron systems are overclocked. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Sandra & Belarc show about the same info (for my purposes) with Belarc taking up much less space and Belard produces a very nice report. I still am not sure about the memory speed (100 or 133). I changed the BIOS setting from 100 to 133 with no adverse effect. Does that mean that the memory speed is 133?

Oooh, I'd be a bit more careful before changing any speed in the BIOS before you know what the hardware supports. In this case, you're still not sure what kind of RAM you have. It is possible to rev up the FSB (frontside bus) without having the memory that supports the faster speed. Also on older motherboards, there isn't a way to separate the FSB and the Memory Bus speed. So when you increase one, you increase both. That can be dangerous not only to your memory, but your PCI components as well (connected through the Southbridge).

I'd immediately change the setting back to 100 for now until you can find out more about what you have. I've never had this kind of problem before, but I'm sure there's a utility out there that can help...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

The easiest way is to open the pc and to check at the memory by itself,

Will oftenly have a sticker on with telling Pc-XXX wich is the ram speed along with the quantity

Give us some detailed system specs and we will have a pretty good guess for you Kiernanf.
Gargouille, older Celerons had a 66fsb.
83mhz? sounds like an AMD K6-2 CPU
Either way most at this age ran PC100 (some early Celerons had PC66 fitted)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Wow! Did I write that?

Yes, extremely outdated thread no doubt. Trying to get a response at this point is much like digging in a graveyard for answers...

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I wonder how Darrel found this post ,
he must have been digging really hard .
cdogg isn't it fun to se what you wrote over a year ago.

Well, I've posted over 3000 responses over the years and at some point, I could remember or at least recognize every one of my posts.

That all changed around the time I broke 200!! This one didn't even muster a nod of recognition.
[lol]

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back