Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what kind of router should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yixiong

Programmer
Aug 4, 2003
US
Hi, there

my network is that there are 5 PCs, 1 windows2003 server,
and about 10 notebooks. I bought a cheap router (about $40)
but I found that the intranet communication is not very good. Now I want to buy a better router with firewall.
I hope that I can set up the router so that only known
IP addresses can visit computers inside router. Which kind
of router is fit for me? Thank you very much for your help.

cisco 2500 series will be a good choice, I think :)

which brand of router is better?

cisco, D-link, sonicwall, linksys, 3com?

cisco is superior in both quality and price. it sounds like you could get by with a decent router like the 700 series or a ubr900series if you have cable modems.

what kind of internet connection do you have? do you have a need for vpn access?

I would personally buy a Cisco 1700 Series - as you have room to upgrade laters on and you can have FW (optional in IOS) and VPN capabilities. You also have room to insert 2 WICS - deffinatly the best choice - I have used them for a Network with DDR Routing and Frame - works a treat. Costs more but better than crappy old 2500s - that are 1 U in size but slow compared to the 1700 - which is small and cool looking - and also provides functionality and upgradability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back