Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What kind of Router should I use in muliple IP environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yapan

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
CA
I got 5 static IP addresses from ISP. (actually, it's a IP block, 8 ips, 1 for network, 1 for router, 1 for broadcast, 5 left)

I'm planning to setup the network like this.
ADSL (PPPoE) ------> DSL modem (I already have Speedstream 5360) ------> Router (? which one should I choose) ------> hub (if the router does not have an integrated hub) ------> 5 Servers with assigned 5 static IP.

Right now, I can connect the ADSL by installing the PPPoE software on my server, but the IP address the server got was the router's.(it supposes to be assigned to router)

I was told that the router must be able to disable the NAT.
Is there anyone who has the simular setting? any recommendation on the Router?
Thanks.

You might find that a Cisco PIX will do everything that you want. It is about as configurable as any of the other routers/firewalls out there. The only drawback is that it will take quite a bit of knowledge to get it up and running. They have forums here to help you with that too.

Thank you Belushi.
Is there any cheaper router I can choose from? Like Dlink DI704I.
This Internet line is just a backup line, so I will not get too much budget on it.

I also have a Cisco 678, which seems not work on PPPoE.

You can really use any Cable/DSL router. What you are asking for is pretty basic and just about any of those home Cable/DSL routers can do what you need. Essentially you will need to NOT run NAT and assign the router the proper IP. If you buy one with a hub, you can simply wire all your other PC's and give them the other 5 available IP's.

Make sure the router is capable of PPPoE. The reason you got the router's IP when you used the PPPoE app on your workstation is because whatever device negotiates the PPPoE is the device that will receive the router IP. Therefore it's important that the router is the device that negotiates PPPoE.

Some companies that make cable/DSL routers are Linksys, SMC, and yes...Dlink.

Thank you very much MaxPipeline.
I'll buy a DI604 and have a try.
(cheap, support told me the NAT can be disabled, PPPoE is supported)

I will agree that it is cheap and that does not mean the price. I have used this router on two of my networks. As long as you are ONLY using it for Internet connectivity you should have no problem. But you will have problems with the following:
1. If you upgrade the firmware it will put the routers configuration back to factory default. So before you upgrade the firmware make sure you backup the configuration.

2. If you depend on the log file, make sure you keep an eye on the time/date stamp. For some reason this router likes to reset itself back to a date/time from Feb 2002.

I have talked to their tech support about the above and was told how to reconfigure. As far as they were concerned the above were not problems.

Good luck to you.

Thank you, Lanceja.
I really appreciate all you guys' help.

I was told by Dlink support that NAT cannot be disabled on DI604!
Anyone knows how to configure it to use a block of IPs(255.255.255.248)?
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back