Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what kind of router should I choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

yixiong

Programmer
Aug 4, 2003
US
my network is that there are 5 PCs, 1 windows2003 server,
and about 10 notebooks. I bought a cheap router (about $40)
but I found that the intranet communication is not very good. Now I want to buy a better router with firewall.
I hope that I can set up the router so that only known
IP addresses can visit computers inside router. Which kind
of router is fit for me? Thank you very much for your help.

Yixiong,
Personally I would check out the brand new 3Com 5000 series routers.
3C13700 the 5009 router with a built in 10/100 ethernet port, serial port for a T1 and 2 Smart Interface Card slots (SIC). You can add an external CSU/DSU to the router for a T1 connection or add an internal SIC card 3C13720 for a T1 CSU/DSU module. The router comes with firewall software and will do everything your looking to do.. It could very well be an overkill for you though.. Retail price is $1,395 on the router.
Hope this helps.

Cronn
A believer in choices..
www.route3c.com

3com have also just released the 3000 series of routers, these are basically a replacement for the 5xx series or Office Connect NETBuilder. Aimed more at the SoHo market they would be more suitable than the 5009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back