Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what kind of files are *.* 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

killowhat

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
are these temp files and can they all be removed? *.*
thanks PEARL

*.* are .. ALL files AND folders !
Be careful if you do that.
It should be ok in the TEMP folder though, there are not supposed to be any data or apps in there. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

I read on some website these are all temp files and to delete them all. I don't think this is right as I had 10,000 of them or is it. I did delete all *.temp files but not sure on *.* files. Anyone know for sure? thanks PEARL

For SURE !!!!!!

*.* is NOT a file, it is just PC language for the English word: EVERYTHING
And yes, it is possible to have 10.000 files in the temp folder if you do a search for *.*, but that is not just .tmp files then, there will be .gif , .~xx and many others.

I cannot get clearer then that.

*.tmp are all the temp files , anything else behind the . is something else.

If you want to see the extensions of the files, turn in on in the folder options.
If you don't know how, post back, but let us know what Windows version you are using. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

*.* means basically means (anyfile name).(any file extension). So if you said "Delete *.*" then you would effectivly be deleting all files in the directory you are in(in theory). which could be C: your hard disk!! It can however be usefull for deleting temporary files "*.tmp" this will find all the temp files, then you can delete them. If your unsure....Dont do it!

Pleas edon't repeat previous posts, it confuses things.
Read before you post. If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

Well, like they say, go to c:\windows\temp and then do this and that with the *.*, so they are right there, but ... only if you use a Windows95, 98 or ME.
2000 and XP do not keep your temp files in c:\windows\temp If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

I have win98se but I really do not believe there are 10,000 files, no way. Not in temp. in C: yes. All I was trying to do was clean up my pc without doing my yearly quick restore. It would take too long to get back to where it is now, but I do believe I have a lot of programs that are not right. This ole pc has been thru hell this past year. Guys as always PEARL and I thank you.LOL

If you really want to know how many files a folders has, open the File Explorer, right-click the folder (C:\Windows\Temp) and select properties.
That's all If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

Whoever posted the thread on restoring the registry, give youself a star, never thought I would need it glad i keep notes, just cant figure them out sometimes. scanreg/restore from dos ,thank you. Yea you guessed right my friends deleted something i shouldnt have. PEARL says I got to get off the darn puter, she gets pissed if i cant order her doggie treats. thanks!

To find out what default TEMP directory Windows is using, go to a command prompt and type set followed by ENTER. Look at the paths for TMP= and TEMP= (usually they are the same). This will confirm which directory or directories you need to clean out on a regular basis.

I think it's much easier to navigate to the directory, go inside, and hit CTRL-A to select everything. Then hit SHIFT-DELETE to skip the recycle bin!

Never search for *.* when hunting for files to delete. You could accidently search the entire C: drive and delete more than you want to. If you prefer to search for TEMP files, search the entire C: drive using *.TMP and *.TEMP. After you delete those files, clear your temporary internet files (from within IE) and also make sure you still clean out the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Make sure the recycle bin is empty and reboot!!

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I believe the article in question was expanding upon cdogg's search recommendation by saying to also search for and delete ~*.* files ONLY WITHIN the temp directory.

I am, as is Pooh, a bear of very little brain. One of the things which I like about windows is the pictures. To avoid carelessly deleting the wrong things as I might have done in DOS by using *.*, when I want to clean the temp directory, I navigate to it using the MY COMPUTER screens.
When I am sure I am INSIDE that directory, I then use the edit menu to select all files, when they are highlighted, I right click, and delete them.

Please note two things, 1 that is my approach in w98, I don't have a w95 machine up at the moment to check it there.
Also, remember that what you delete, even within the temp directory is your responsibility and if there is something you are unsure about, leave it. Again, I think the article in question was suggesting deleting only two types of files, *.tmp and ~*.*, not necessarily cleaning out the whole directory.

Another reason why you should learn dos first.

dos is not dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomcruz.net

long live the command line.

FILE DELETING ON DRIVE C........
*.tmp *.~mp *.gid *.fts *.chk *.00* (those are zeroes) *.--- *.$$$ *.*$ _*.* ~*.*

*.~* *.??_ *.??~ *.^* .syd miscreate.dir

CAUTION: *.prv *.old *.bak

Always preview before going crazy with one big delete!

I have had some trouble deleting some of my temp files, as they were still being used by some CAM software. I tried deleteing all files, but when it got to the one in use it quit deleting, and wouldn't delete anything after the in use file. I downloaded Temp Files Controller from and all problems went away. It shows you all the temp files, click, clean, and it wipes everything it can with one click. Also cleans temp internet files, history, and cookies. Best of all it doesn't cost a thing!

mdengtek

Thanks for the program... downloading now. iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back