Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is wrong with my comptuer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalcross

Technical User
Apr 1, 2004
US
When my computer starts up like from a shut down, or a restart....The fans and lights turn on, then the PC speaker sounds twice. After that everything shuts down and I have to turn it on again for it to boot up....

Any help please?

If it matters my motherboard is a SK8V from Asus....

Well, from the information you provided I'd say it's not working correctly. Now, if you would give us more info maybe we could narrow it down.

That is about it. It dont do any more. After the The beeps, then I try turning on the power again and It goes on like nuthing ever happened.

How would I reset the memeory???

I re-seated my memory stick.......and it still does it. Anything else?

What i would do next is bring the pc back to a basic setup, with no peripherals whatsoever. disconnect everything except your motherboard, cpu, memory, powersupply, video card and harddrive. Try to boot with this minimalist setup, and see if the problem persists. If you don't get the error, then one of your peripherals is the problem, so reconnect them one by one, making sure the connectors are properly connected, and the appropriate drivers and motherboard settings are enabled and installed.
If the problem persists, then it is a problem with your basic hardware. I would tend to think of memory or the powersupply, but it could also be a faulty motherboard. So the next step is to try differnt memory, then powersupply, etc etc, until you find out what is bugging out.

One question - have you installed any hardware recently? Have you made any changed to your setup?

Get back to us!

Kinda sounds like a "COLD-BOOT" syndrome...

explaination - when Power Supply (PSU) is cold, it can't deliver enough power to drive all equipment...

Fix - get a new PSU with at least 350watts, depending on what you have all installed in the case (Post what you have all in there and the specs of it all, ie. 250w PSU, PIII, MSI 6309 mobo with 128mb ram etc... get the drift) that way we can lead you to a better fix for the situation...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back