Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is this now ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
It's been a week now since I have a popup complaining about not being able to install a temp file named utt****.tmp.
I can't say that nothing has changed in my config, however I can say that I have done a restore (I use Macrium Reflect for my backups) of end of February, then another one of beginning of February, to no avail. In both cases, the popup still shows up.
So kudos to Macrium Reflect for not really backuping my actual configuration. On the other hand, it did screw up my Blizzard Diablo IV status so I no longer can participate in the Server Slam. Thanks Macrium Reflect.
So, I regularly have a popup complaining that a file in my temp directory called utt followed by two hex values and ending in .tmp does not have the proper key to install. Maybe I should be grateful to this pile of shit called Windows 1 0 for not installing something I had no idea I needed to install. On the other hand, I would really appreciate if Windows could tell me which effing program wants to install a bloody file I had no idea existed on my PC.
Oh, and if I delete that file, a little while later I get a new popup concerning another uttHHHH.tmp file. In other words, I delete one file, another is created.
I would really like to understand how this process can survive the restore of two backups that didn't have the problem, plus several scourings with Process Hacker to find any process that didn't sniff right.
Could someone please point me to the process I need to kill with utmost prejudice ?

Thank you.

P.S. : Oh, yes, I forgot - Windows Anti Malware says there's absolutely nothing wrong with my configuration.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

Try deleting all the tmp files in C:\users\<your login>\Appdata\local\temp.

Very often applications written in languages like C# create lots of files in appdata\local\temp and don't bother deleting them.

@pmonett:
Are you using µTorrent ?
If yes, then the utt*.tmp files are created by µTorrent.

Ah ha !
So that's it. Yes, I'm using µtorrent. I am seeding various Linux distros (haiku and Mint among others).
Now I know where to look. And now I wonder why now ? Apparently there needs to be an update, because something got screwed up.
Thanks for the info !

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

I use µtorrent 2.2.1 - no fuss, no bloat and definitely no utt*.tmp files, in fact no temp files at all.

No need to uninstall. I stopped the program and, lo and behold, no more temp file messages.
I somehow doubt that there is any launching though. I agree, these are ISO files, but this is a change in behavior. I have been seeding these files since they came out and I never got those messages before this month.
I don't remember when µtorrent last updated, but they're going to need another update to clear this mess up.

You can also try another torrent client if you like. I prefer Transmission, which is preinstalled on my favorite Linux distro by default. It's open source and available for windows too.

Thanks for the link. I think I'll give it a try, when I can :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back