Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the speed difference between DSL or Cable Modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauce

Technical User
Apr 24, 2000
US
I am looking into getting either or. I would like to get the quicker of the two, but can not find enough info on either one of them to know which is quicker. I do understand the security risks associated with both. I will be using it for personal/one man business type stuff.

Any help is appreciated

Sauce

Cable has a higher theroretical speed however the speed is usually capped by the provider and the speed you get is directly related to the number of users on at your currnet time. DSL you get a flat speed and is (usually) doesn't change much no matter how many people in your area have it. So for the same amount of mony cable is usally faster unless you live in an area where just about everyone is going to have it then DSL would be the way to go

Erik
cirvam@netzero.net

Looking to learn more about Linux, Apache, PHP and others.

Dsl is probably your best bet for speed , however there is more to consider. The access is going to be for your private and business needs . The business needs are you considering running any kind of pptp/vpn programs . Your best bet will be to contact your local providers and have them send you out some information that way you compare each other and the abilty of the circuits . Good Luck !!!

also dsl is distance dependant.. if you are more than 12000 feet (2.2 miles) from the central office you will get 144kb/s or less. If you are close by the central office dsl is probably better. But cable, even if there are a lot of people on it, is faster if you are more than 2 miles or so away.

Its true that there is a limit issue and its at 18,000 . However theres a new technology
out on the UMC 1000 that can run dsl over fiber . The limitation then comes from the
3M/cross-box out to your prem .

The limit for DSL is kinda fuzzy - speed drops the further way you are, and most service providers won't do more than 12000 feet because of quality of service issues, even though it is possible to 18000 ft and beyond.
Regarding Cable vs ADSL, there is also the question of customer service - who is worse, your cable co or your telco? Malcolm

Without repeating everyone else's comments, what do you want to use it for? If you are looking strictly for download speed, go cable. I haven't come across one yet that was any less than 60kbps (and many much much higher) compared with an average of 45kbps for DSL. But, if you want to run a web server or some similar services, many of the cable providers block certain ports (80 for web services) on the uplink, preventing you from doing so.

I've signed up for a DSL service because of the whole bunch of reasons. So, thinking that i get lightening speed i've installed Morpheus for downloadinf music. But speeds i get are just ridiculous! I download regular 3-4MB files sometimes in 30 mins!! Is it the way it's supposed to be or i have some probs?
Thanks

I've signed up for a DSL service because of the whole bunch of reasons. So, thinking that i get lightening speed i've installed Morpheus for downloadinf music. But speeds i get are just ridiculous! I download regular 3-4MB files sometimes in 30 mins!! Is it the way it's supposed to be or i have some probs?
Thanks

Russianguy,
That problem is probably Morpheus's file sharing. Try and check out their bandwidth test to see what you got. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back