Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is the security tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
In active directory users and groups there is the group tab which Ive always used for "security" but what is the purpose of the SECURITY tab? If I look in AD at users, all the users seem to have all the security groups listed in their security tab? What does the security tab do?

thanks for any info...

The security tab for a specific object details who or what groups can access this object and what they have permissions to do. It says if the user has full control, read, modify etc. If a share has specific permsissions for a group that you are not a member of you will not be able to acess this share....

Hope this helps

but the security tab Im talking about is in the user properties sheet in Active Directory. I use the security tab on objects like directories to assign permissions to groups and users, that I understand. I am guessing that in Active Directory users the security tab allows you to assign permissions to the user objects individually??? so you could have different user/groups managing differens sets of users and groups???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back