Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the "System Group"..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix101

MIS
Jun 5, 2007
US
Hello all,

I've been cleaning up some permissions in our file directory (server2003)and found the "System" group to be in a few I've been looking at, I've reseached online and haven't really been able to find anything.

Can anyone tell me what the "System" group is used for? and/or when anyone would want to use it.

Thanks, apprieciate the input.

I an not sure but I thought it is similar the System Account used with services
Eg Local System Account

SYSTEM is created by default, just like CREATOR OWNER and other system groups. It's the account that the OS uses to access resources. I don't think that you can put members in the group, and you certainly wouldn't want to. Just let it be.

Thanks for info kmcferrin, now that you bring up the Creator Owner group, that group is also in there. I was thinking of putting it out so that users who create file/folders don't prevent anyone else, like their mgr, from accessing them.

What do you think??? Should I just leave it or can I remove it without causing impact.

thanks.

Do you really think that the filesystem would put default permission out there that it wouldn't need? Don't mess with either of them.

The Creater/Owner group for a file is the person who either created the file or owns the file. I believe that if the file ownership changes then the creator is removed from the group and the new owner is added. If you are a member of Creater/Owner then you can change permissions on the group even if you are not listed anywhere else in the security permissions. If you remove that group then you can really screw yourself, especially if someone tries to hide files from you by taking away rights from administrators. Normally if someone does that, the admin account can take ownership of the file and then reset the file permissions. If you remove Creator/Owner you can take ownership of the file but you can't reset the permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back