Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is the "login script", and how can I access it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saikano

Technical User
Aug 18, 2004
US
I would like to know what the login script is and how I can modify/strip it down. I am trying to achieve a very low boot time with winxp, and when I used the microsoft bootvis tool [no longer provided by microsoft], it says that the login script takes 15.96 seconds.

That's a huge chunk of time that I am sure can be modified.

So I would like to know [1]what is the login script [2] what does it do [3] which file is it?

thanks!!

no, I have set the computer up as a standalone...it may eventually connect to other computers wirelessly [i'm at college]

i really would like to know if the thing is really necessary...I hope someone can help :)

Then you do not have a login script, or it is very unlikely.

A report from bootvis of 15.96 seconds to boot does not seem excessive. If you remove any AV software you likely could cut this in half, but this is not advised.

With GPEDIT.MSC at the run command, look in two places. Under Computer configuration, and User Configuration. Both places that scripts will be run is under Windows Settings, scripts (computer configuration will state startup/shutdown, and user configuration will state login/logoff).
The default path to the location of the script is under Windows->System 32->Group Policy->either Machine or User. This doesn't necessarily have to be true, as I have gotten a script to work without it being in the default path. Just determine from GPEDIT.MSC where they are located.

thanks you tfg13...you put me on the path to discovery...thank you very much for the tip! I found under the Computer Configuration > Administrative templates > System > Logon a 'key' that once set, allows you to not process the runonce list, which is something else i needed. thanks again...

but i must say that I can't find any login scripts. but bootvis says explicitly that it is the login script that is taking ~16 seconds...not the entire boot process [which includes the wmi, prefetch, and desktop loading etc.]

At this point, if there is nothing listed, I am with bcastner on this one. 16 second startup is not excessive.

I've never played with bootvis before, so I am not going to comment on how reliable the program is.

Does it state anything about applying group/security policies? If not, this may be where it is coming from.

my total startup time is 27-28 seconds. my goal is to have a extremely streamlined xp - i'm aiming for the lowest boot time. i know you guys are saying 16 is not excessive, and you're right, for normal purposes.

but i'm trying to do something different, and this login script is taking up 16 of the 27. if isn't necessary, 'out it goes' is my solution...

[i'm not trying to be rude or unprofessional...i just figured explaining my goals my help focus my question]

thanks all for reading this thread

The only other place a "logon" scripting can occur is through Scheduled Tasks. You can review this through Control Panel.

It occurs to me that you might have some malware on your system.

I think you would be happiest if doing a thorough cleaning as a first step.

here are a number of FAQ's around this site that should help with the problem.

FAQ608-4650 Before Posting a Hijack log file - Best Practices
FAQ608-3482 How to beat your advertising popups & other browser nasties
FAQ760-4866 Beginners General Cleanup
FAQ779-5240 What are Good Virus/Spyware?Update/Firewall Practices?

it is a fresh new install, i got sp2 this past week and slipstreamed it into my install. malware is not the issue, but thanks!

scheduled tasks is empty, i cleaned out my startup folder and startup configuration, disabled many services...i bet you guys are wondering why? i'm making my own version of xpmce...i just need a fast boot, and i don't want to go the xp embedded route because it is too expensive for just one runtime

Not too Saikano, that if Bootvis.exe is identifying a process called "Logon" or "Login", I strongly suggest you do a malware cleanup as suggested above.

We are decidedly not talking about a native XP Windows process.

thanks bcastner, it says specifically a login script, rather than a process. does this make a difference? I'm somewhat confused as to how malware can get onto my fresh install.

but the PE idea is great!! i'm looking into it [:::wanders off to learn about bartPE and other things like it]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back