Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is the purpose of data mining and why do we need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbutt

Programmer
Apr 15, 2003
GB
hi there,
i apologise in advance if any members find this question annoying, but i need help in understanding what the purpose of data mining is and why do we need it, with regards to data warehouses and data sets.

thanx in advance.
hb

It may help to get started by reading the FAQ titled "What's the difference between data mining and data warehousing, databases, querying, etc.?" (faq354-4702).

-Predictor

HB -

Think my response to Derrick's post may be helpful...

Not sure what your background is in Data Warehousing, data mgt, etc but going a little further…
From a business or organizational point of view, data mining can be used to find certain behaviors or description in customers, products, etc. to take action and/or get value. Examples include an astronomer grouping stars into different groups of study or a business finding which customers are likely to leave.

You can also get value from a technical or purely data stand point. For example, you can use data mining to help in assessing the data quality of your data warehouse. While technical in nature, this is still related to the business (better data quality will most likely increase profits).

Hope this helps. Thanks. – Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back