Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is the operating temp for CPU in Celcius 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

celica28

Technical User
Oct 20, 2005
US
I just build a new system with all new components. I have a 3.2GHZ Intel processor with HT technology. I am not using the retail heat sink, I am using an all copper Zalman heat sink that has a fan pointed to the rear chasis fan. I have also used artic silver 5 gel.

I checked the manual and I have to keep the processor below 38 degrees C but at times I have seen it get above 40 degrees. Anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the temp of the processor?

I believe this is the processor that I have: Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T Processor - Retail
Model #: BX80547PG3200F

Let me know what you think. I do not want to go to water cooling system.

My 3.0GHz Prescott P4 runs 35C-36C minimum... up to 45C under full load. In my experience, you have no reason for concern as long as the temperature does not exceed 65C-70C.
What manual are you reading (not published by a cooling fan manufacturer) that says it should not be over 38C?

celica28
QUOTE:
"I checked the manual and I have to keep the processor below 38 degrees C but at times" whereever you have seen this it's SIMPLY NOT TRUE!

This is a particularly HOT CPU and your 40C is re-assuringly COOL!
Believe me you have absolutely no worries as I have seen many machines with this specification running 10 or even 15 degrees centigrade higher without any problems.

If you can keep this thing less than 60C max you have it well sorted.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Well the Prescot chips run very hot indeed. As long as the temperature stays below 69.2 C the processor will not be dammaged. Actually it will not be dammaged even wihout heatsink or fan, it just slows and finally shuts down. I do believe that you can have the cpu running ar 40 C with full load if the machine is outside during the winter in Alaska. No, normally the Prescot chips run from 40 to 65 C depending on the load. I suggest you check your reported temperatures, they may not be correct as they are much to low.
Regards

Jurgen

Thanks everyone for the information. It became very useful to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back