Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the Netsetup.exe file for and how do I use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

serarmoro

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
MX
Hi guys, I have paradox 9 Developers edition and I have two things I need to solve with it.

First I read in previous posts that there was a Windows Help editor included in the disk. Haven't found it yet... and it sure be very helpful.

Second. I've being working with paradox since 1993, and I'm a believer of it. But for for the first time I'm developing applications that need multiple users working in the same tables at the same time, and I'm having trouble with it.

I have made this applications using the Paradox Framework, in all my workstations i have placed a copy of Paradox runtime, and I don't have troubles regarding access, but now I need to manage sessions. I've found the Netsetup.exe file on the disk and I want to know how to use it.

I'll appreciate any advise.

Thank you

As I recall, Netsetup.exe is just used for installing the Corel application itself, and doesn't relate to setting up the network for database access. This might help :

CONFIGURING THE BDE TO RUN PARADOX IN A NETWORK ENVIRONMENT
===========================================================

In order for Paradox to operate in a multi-user environment, every user must have the NET DIR setting in the BDE pointing at the PDOXUSRS.NET file. This file is responsible for tracking users who are logged on, and which records and tables they are accessing. The NET DIR setting corresponds to the directory that this file is centrally located in. Everybody must have full access to this directory, so that Paradox knows at all times, who is accessing a table, and what record they are in. The location of the .NET file is irrelevant, the only imperative is that everyone has their BDE pointed at it via NET DIR.
If everybody is not pointing at the same .NET file, or a user has not got full rights to this directory, then locking problems can occur, the system has not got a correct picture of who is accessing what, and therefore data integrity is violated.

The following setting illustrates a valid NET DIR entry :

<Drive> : \ServerOne\PDox

Users can enter different drive letters, depending on which drive they’ve mapped to the directory containing PDOXUSRS.NET, but the rest of the path must be identical.

Example :

There are four users on a network, running Paradox.
There is a server on the network containing various databases, the main directory for Paradox files being \\SERVER1\DATA\PARADOX.

User #1 maps his F: drive to \\SERVER1. Then does the following ....

1. Opens the BDE and clicks on the configuration tab

2. Expands Drivers | Native, then clicks on Paradox

3. Clicks inside the NET DIR window, and either browses for Pdoxusrs.net ..... or.....

4. Types F:\DATA\PARADOX

5. Applies his changes and exits the BDE

Users #2, #3 and #4 can have different drive letters, but they must have :\DATA\PARADOX
after the drive letter (and obviously be mapped to the same server.
Once everybody has done this, they are ready to use Paradox on a network.

Darragh Quinn

Thank you Darragh I'll try this and get back to tell you what happened.

Serarmoro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back