Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the maximum number of records in a LIST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mych

Programmer
May 20, 2004
GB
Does anyone know what is the maximum number of records that can be held in a list?... I heard somewhere that it was only 2000 which is not much in the grand scheme of things.

Any advice appreciated :)

i've heard and have been recommending the 2000 number also but i think that's per view. you might get into some rendering in the browser performance issues if you try to display 2000 list items at one time. i currently have a list with 14000 items with views of 100 at a time and haven't really seen anything that pinpoints that list as a problem.

Wolvie,

Many thanks for this... I have some 150k records that are currently on an Access database. There are in a single table and represent 3 years worth of incidents. I know you can import excel files. But 150k would breach the 64k limit in Excell. Would I have to import 3 excel sheets or could I import a csv text file with all the records? The maximum that would be in any view would probably be around 100 and then it would only be 3 or 4 fields of the 12 that make up a record.

Mych

Hey Mych,

I actually just came across this article:

I was correct in saying that you should limit your views to less than 2000 items per list. According to the guide you can actually store in upwards of 5 million documents in a library. I assume that also holds true for list items.

i'm not too sure of how to go about importing your data. if that 64k limit is for excel 2003, try excel 2007. I know that the limits for that have been increased.

Hello,

As long as you are using SQL to hold the data then SQL should be the only thing you have to worry about since Sharepoint is just a front-end. 150k should be no problem.

All, thanks for this...

Mellestad, the data I have is currently in a rather full (creaking at the seams) Access 97 db. I'm looking for the easiest way to import this into Sharepoint (which has a SQL2005 back end).

Regards
Mych

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back