Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the future of Sybase and Powerbuilder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I need to eat in the future and would like to know thoughts on using this tool as a primary development skill in the future.&nbsp;&nbsp;Should I get a job at McDonald's too in order to eat or will PB stay alive?<br><br>gh

MAC powerbuilder is dead and so are MACS, but I think if Sybase implemented internet protocols such as FTP, HTTP, etc as modules or methods like the transaction object then Powerbuilder could become a very powerful object oriented development platform. Problem is they would be competing with the likes of Delphi.

gh,<br>Just my input. I've been doing PB/Sybase since the beginning of '94 and, though it's &quot;fashionability&quot; has waned a bit since then (this is after all a fashion industry, I'm convinced), there still seems to be lots of work. Depending on what town you're in, you can get a feel for it from recruitment shops. I predict that PB code will become almost &quot;legacy&quot;, there has been so much written in it, and it is so easy to add enhancements with it. I maintain a big system for a major broadcaster, the system was written in PB2.0 and they are still adding to it as I write this. It wouldn't make sense to rewrite it. Powersoft/Sybase just need to make sure they stay on the edge with the web development stuff. I've played around with their PowerJ java environment, it's gotten a lot of endorsments and putdowns, as any tool will have it's fans and opponents. I would just make sure you get some education in the current frenzy, i.e. html, javascript, java. I'm having to confront learning those and so far javascript/html looks the easiest. Java drives me nuts. Hope that gives you a perspective. jt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back