Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the diff. between .PBD & .DLL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

santosh2natal

Programmer
Aug 10, 2003
IN
When we build application if we create it in p-code it builds '.PBD' files. And when we create it in machine code it builds '.DLL' files. So, I want to know what is the difference between .PBD files and .DLL files and also what ".PBD" stands for?
Also is there any guideline for builing the applications in PB?
Please give the reply.
Thanx with regards.

Santosh Natal

PBD's are essentially run-time library's they tend to be larger and run slower because they are not compiled to machine code as a DLL would be. Compiles to PBDs take a lot less time.PDB is a Powerbuilder Dynamic Library- a library that is loaded when the application executes. I always compile to DLLs because I always want to squeeze as much speed as I can. HTH

Compiling to PBDs is more reliable than DLLs because the compiler places/pulls all the objects from the PBL such as DataWindows, Pipelines, windows, user-objects... even if they are dynamically referenced. Although you can pull the dynamically referenced objects such as DataWindows using PBR files, it is a little bit tricky to pull the dynamically referenced Windows, User-Objects, Pipelines from the PBLs into the DLLs as these are not supported by PBR files.

Use DLL compilation on math-intensive applications or where you need to do string-manipulations. Otherwise, PBD compilation is adequate. Sybase has done a wonderful job in fine-tuning the PBDs so much so, that there is virtually no difference in performance between PBDs and DLLs (unless you have some math-calculations and string-manipulations).

PBD compilation is faster while DLL compilation is much slower (and creates large DLL files). PBD execution used to be slower but there is hardly any difference between DLL execution and PBD execution except in above mentioned situations. Further, you can salvage DataWindows from PBDs and attach PBDs as 'libraries' to other applications!!

---
PowerObject!
-----------------------------------------
PowerBuilder / PFC Developers' Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back