Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best way to "share" a database across users

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmn

Programmer
Apr 3, 2003
US
Hello,

Is there an uncomplicated way to share a database across users?

I have used synchronization in the past and it's been a disaster. Is there a way to set this up without too much effort?

Eventually they'd like 10-15 people using the database (most of them as read only) - but there are 2 people right now using the database.

Right now I have a copy on my C: drive which I upload to an network drive. My coworker reads it there - but he told me he's been entering data. The problem here is that the database is not in full production and I'm constantly overwriting that network database file so all of his changes are lost.

Should we be synching up?????? If yes, is it simple and doesn't require a network or LAN expert???

Thx

Try looking at this thread.

thread700-547270

G LS
accessaceNOJUNK@valleyalley.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

Thanks for the response - I looked at the thread - but is splitting the front end and back end difficult or very time consuming? I have a 15 MB database.

I'm not experienced in this at all and want a quick and dirty solution.

There is also something about form locks - editable - and I'm not sure if that means I have to go into every single form and do that........

Hey,

The easiest way is to take out all the tables from the database, and move them to a fresh new access-mdb.
Then, link every table back to the first dbase, using link database from the tools menu.

(in the original database, the tables are signed by an arrow in front of their name, meaning it is a linked table, not stored in the actual database)

Now about sharing among users :
- When all users are on the same network (no remote connections using dialup or internet), the most easy way is just safe the main mdb (forms, macro's, vba, reports) on the user's local machine, and create a link to the tables/database on the server share.

If most people are read-only, you should't be worrying about locks and everything.

I hope this helps

Regards,

Peter

Using the built-in "Database splitter" is very simple and quick.(TOOLS, DATABASE UTILITIES, DATABASE SPLITTER). Then you can update all you want without effecting the data.

I believe I've split my database correctly. I've put both the front end and back end on the network server. My concerns of course are 1) if the network is down - the database is also down for all users. 2) Security - the network drive itself is secure so maybe I will just keep it at that - but is it then possible for people to keep the database open 24x7 and then I can't upload changes?

Also - I'm assuming it's ok to copy the database to my c: drive where I can make changes and then if I copy over the MDB it won't affect the back end file?

Anyone have experience in this to share horror stories or assure me that all will be ok?

I have a backup of the old database format (non split).

My final and most important question - the performance on the network drive is AWFUL. Is there a way to speed it up - or is that strictly a network issue?

~L

Hi!

To add to what you already have:

Keep a copy of the split database on your drive and only update the Front end where the forms are. You can help the network issues by putting a copy of the front end on the PC for every user, that way you can work on the LAN copy of the FE without interference from the users. You will need to make a batch file that will automatically load the FE when it is a new version (there are threads on this site where you can find this type of information).

hth

Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back