Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best way to handle external database uploading

Status
Not open for further replies.

mschmid4

Programmer
Aug 2, 2000
US
In my office we have several Access databases on the local network. Various people update these databases using Access. Right now we upload the databases manually to the machine running the webpage and coldfusion server every night. As far as I know, coldfusion cannot use databases unless they are local. Is there a way to have this upload happen automatically or realtime? Maybe there is a way to trick coldfusion into using a networked file. I could fix this problem by building online forms and keeping the databases always on the server, but there has to be a better way.<br>Any help would be great,<br>-Matt

Yes there is a way :)...CF needs a local database to work with but you can use Access to link to tables in another database, this way you can create a local db for cf to use but the actual data can be in any Access db on your network <br><br>Hope this helps,<br><br>Bromrrrrr

Bromrrrrr,<br>I have tried this approach before with no luck. Whenever I link the table to the database on the network I get an error.<br><br>ODBC Error Code = S1009 (Invalid argument value)<br><br>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] 'U:\HR\hrs.mdb' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.<br><br>Now if I link the tables on the local machine I dont get this error. So this is a specfic network problem. Maybe I need to change my network settings somehow?<br><br>-Matt<br>

&lt;CFSchedule&gt; can schedule a form to be run periodically(daily). This form can use the CFFILE tag to upload the file to the server. See Ben Forta's book - Chapter 28 Pg 677 for an example of uploading files.<br><br>Hope this helps.<br><br> <p>Dave Joyce<br><a href=mailto:DaveJoyce@hotmail.com>DaveJoyce@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back