Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best way to auto add a 9 for out dialing 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trason806

Technical User
Sep 18, 2009
US
What is the best way to auto add a 9 for out dialing? We have an alarm system that is set to dial a 7 digit number. It is setup for 2 lines. One is an analog from the CO that wants to see 7 digits. the other line is and analog from the IPO and it wants to see 9 and then the 7 digits. We 4 digit dial for internal calls,
The best thing i have come up with is a USER short code:
Code:XXXXXXX
Feature:Dial
Telephone Number:9N
Line Group ID: 10 ----this is my SIP line

This setup lets the line still dial 4 digit extn (after a timeout) but when it sees 7 digits it adds the 9.
So is this the best way? Is there a better way?

Point the 9N to an ARS table and add the 9 in the dial of the ARS table to go to your ID 10.

If It's Not Broken...Don't Fix It!

Stephen Webb
Norstar, BCM and IP Office Engineer

USER Short Code

Code: N
Feature: Dial
Telephone Number: N
Line Group ID: 50 (The ARS that sends calls to the SIP, as they generally need to be sent EnBloc)

It can't dial extension numbers, but why would the alarm want to do that anyway?

It can't dial extension numbers, but why would the alarm want to do that anyway?
Incorrect internal extn numbers are processed before short codes so the Alarm Would be able to dial internal exns if actually needed (I Agree why would it).

The solution posted is correct & the best way to do this, why ad the complexity of adding a 9 & then passing to an ars to simply strip it again?

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

I like the Dial ARS instead of the Line 10. That makes sense. But the code N makes this extn unable to dial an system short codes. As USER short code overrides any SYSTEM code.
I know this alarm wont ever call anything else, But i thought maybe a fax machine could use this setup and still be able to use system codes.

Also on my test setup. When i add the N/Dial/N/50 I can NOT dial extns.

Have you actually tested this?

Although user short codes take priority the IPO still uses the SC with the closed mach this means that an explicit system short code would still match over a generic wildcard in user short codes.

Trason are you in the US or UK?

Default settings for dial delay count and dial delay time affect how the user shortcodes work.

In the UK we have a dial delay count of 4 and a dial delay time of 1 as default and an N shortcode in a user will not stop you calling other extensions. In the US the default is dial delay count of 0 and dial delay time of 4, with this I have found that an N user shortcode will stop you being able to dial extensions.

| ACSS SME |

I am in the US and that is what is happening. Dial delay time 4. dial delay count 0. So it sees the N as an exact match and never gets to the system short codes or extns.

If you are happy to play with it set the dial delay count to the length of your extensions (ie 3 digit extensions set it to 3, 4 digit extensions set it to 4).

Cant hurt :)

| ACSS SME |

the shortcode should be N; not n to force the syetm to wait for the dial delay timer.
this sorts out dialing extns but testing on my server at home does seem to block short codes

you could try 2N; 3n; etc so that * does not match the user short code.
a little experimentation will probably go a long way.

Code: ?
Feature: Dial
Telephone Number: . (dot)
Line Group ID: 50 (ARS table should be configured to your PRI or SIP line)

If vegetarians love animals so much, why are they eating all of their food?

? can only be used as a system code. i dont want all uses able to do this.

What about XXXXN/Dial/N/ARS as user short code. It should not get a match before you have dialled the fifth digit.

Dial delay time 4. dial delay count 0 (US default) software 9.0.9.995

N/dial/N/50 - cannot dial extns or system short codes. (external dialing only)
N;/dial/N/50 - extn is immediately dialed on 4th digit. Can NOT dial system short codes.
XXXXXXX/dial/N/50 - extn is immediately dialed on 4th digit. CAN dial system short codes.
XXXXXXX;/dial/N/50 - extn is immediately dialed on 4th digit. CAN dial system short codes.
XXXXXN/dial/N/50 - extn is immediately dialed on 4th digit. CAN dial system short codes.
XXXXXN;/dial/N/50 - extn is immediately dialed on 4th digit. CAN dial system short codes.
?D/dial/ /50 - hotdial ARS - external dialing only.

so if you dont have extn that conflict with external numbers almost any of these will work. If you do...(extn 2070 - external number 207-0xxx) then you pretty much have to force external all the time.

derfloh,
N can also be nothing so the code would need to be XXXXXN/dial/N/ars

Thanks Trason. I'm not so familiar with US dial plan. Here we just dial 0N/Dial/N ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back