Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best way? - Duplicate Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belky

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi,
My problem is I have columns accross the page with details underneath these also. Then accross the page some of my columsn; skill 1 - 3 can have many entries but the rest of my data can not be duplicate. So it loks like this.

Name Phone Skill 1 Skill 2 skill 3
Address

Bob Smith 9741741 ADSL CORPORATE BLAH BLAH
Eliz St,
Melbourne 3000

HIGH VOLTAGE

DIGITAL

How can I prevent these great big spaces in between my skills. Because Address is under name there is a space already, but this can not be removed due to lack of space.
A speady repsonse by someone would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.

Group by the users and concatenate the name and address with a chr(13) between them, and each of the skills together in formulas with a chr(13) between them.

This has a limitation of 254 chars in version 8.5 or below.

So you have a formula called Name_Address in the group footer (assuming that you have name and address for each row):

whileprintingrecords;
StringVar nameaddress;
nameaddress := {MyTable.Name} + chr(13) + {MyTable.MyAddress}

A formula called Skill1Init in the group header section (suppressed):
whileprintingrecords;
StringVar skill1:='';

A formula called Skill1 in the detail section (suppressed):
whileprintingrecords;
StringVar skill1;
skill1 := skill1+chr(13)+{MyTable.skill1}

A formula called Skill1Disp in the group footer section:
whileprintingrecords;
StringVar skill1;
skill1

Which you'd have to do for each skill...

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Wow thanks for the speady reply.

However I don't know if I mentioned that in my database for instance there are many entries for the skills, ie a person may be entered 12 times int he database. I don't want to see his name 12 times but the skills. So what will putting the skills ina formula do? The name and address will always go over 2 maybe 3 lines.
What do you think?
Thanx again and I look forward to your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back