Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best Python tutorial ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octalman

Programmer
Aug 11, 1999
US
Visit site
I am reading "Learning Python," by Lutz & Ascher. It seems to have the facts, ma'am, but is heavy going. I wish I had a Python tutorial as good as Laura Lemay's "Teach Yourself Perl." The current crop of Python books is thin, but does anyone have any suggestions.

Well, I'm still new to python, but I've read in linux mag that more books are on the way! Keep the faith! :)<br>
<br>
P.S. You have the PDF's by Guido, right?

Yes, I have the PDF's, but I don't like reading on-line documentation and I'm not up to printing such long books.<br>
<br>
The REAL problem, though, is modules. It turned out I learned Python itself easily. But the documentation I have found so far for modules is pretty bad, obtuse, at best, and actually misleading in some cases. Python is in serious need of high quality module documentation IMHO.<br>
<br>
Modules are what make Python (and perl) rock.

You'll really have to print out the<br>Python Library reference.. on<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> (if you didn't know :)<br>355 pages (last version)<br><br>its really good - and it's just about the<br>only reference you'll ever need to python<br>(assuming you've got the language basics).

I have a half dozen Python Books. I'd suggest with out hesitation Learning Python and Core Python. They are both very different books that, I found, complemented each other nicely.

Bo

I am a newbie and I am learning from
Sams Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours
by Ivan Van Laningham
It seems pretty good to me, the author seems knowledgable and has a twisted sense of humor, which I like. Since it is the only Python book I has read any of, I can't give a comparison
Bob

I use fineprint to print all my documentation from the web, whether it be Python or other. I use it to create A5 booklets which I staple using a long reach stapler. If you use one sheet of coloured 100gsm card as a cover you can create your own documentation and save a forest!!
Alternatively you can guillotine, punch and put in A5 folders. It is a very useful piece of software.
I just wish fineprint paid me for all the publicity I give them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back