Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is the best pop3 or imap server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

owedark

ISP
Apr 25, 2003
PH
hi.. well i just want to know what is the best and recommended pop3 or imap server for qmail? oncemore any website or free webmail installer that compatible for qmail? thanks.

thank's for the reply.. actually im working in isp and im one of the staff of systems administration, right now were conducted some testing using linux (redhat9) we try a different mail server application for linux.. right now were trying to configured qmail for the smtp server, any suggestion for the pop3 server? this is for testing only.. because were planning to migrate in qmail and our current mail sever for our client.. i think our whole system.. regarding the no. of users, our client is around 4,000 right now.. and this is for commercial purposes..
last question.. how about the yahoo mail, any idea what pop3 server that they're used right now.. thank's. :)

We use qmail with vpop here. Works well, we have about 80,000 mail accounts on it. The pop servers uses ldap to auth the users too. (Mail is stored on a NetApp.) 4000 accounts won't even make it break a sweat. I had a Sun U2 (dual 167Mhz 512MB) doing pop *and* smtp for something like 15,000 accts before it started to roll over.

As far as Yahoo, they rolled their own pop server, IIRC. Post.Office actually has issues communicating with it, too (well, one of many of P.O's issues). Excite uses InterMail MX I last heard. Many others used the Netscape Messaging Server suite, but Netscape dumped that product line and I believe most people switched to SunONE suite. (they come from the same code base.)

--
Andy

thanks for the reply.. may i know sir the exact name of ur pop server is that rpm or tar.. so that i can install it.. and do u have a manual about the installation or tutorial website. i will try to install it sir.. thanks.
oncemore.. do know a website that i can download a free webmail installer.. thanks.

I would not tread it that simple, owedark. As nachoz said above, make your decision on top of your needs.
For my (relatively small site), i'm running Courier-IMAP, for pop3 i'm using qmails qmail-pop3d and as Webmailer this graet peace of php: Horde/IMP.
Most machine ressources are bound by concurrent running imapd-tasks.

Sorry for my english :)

hi sseitz..

im trying to configured the ldap+courier-imap.. i install it properly.. and seems no problem.. my queston how can i enable or set the maildir if i used postfix or qmail for my smtp server.. rite now im running postfix.. any idea how to solved it.. oncemore could u give me site or manual for proper installation of ldap+courier-imap.. thanks.

owel :)

sseitz (Programmer) Jun 15, 2003
I would not tread it that simple, owedark. As nachoz said above, make your decision on top of your needs.
For my (relatively small site), i'm running Courier-IMAP, for pop3 i'm using qmails qmail-pop3d and as Webmailer this graet peace of php: Horde/IMP.
Most machine ressources are bound by concurrent running imapd-tasks.

sseitz...

hi! im trying to configured right now the ldap/courier-imap.. it seems it works fine.. imap is working.. but the problem is the pop3.. its failed to authenticate.. any idea..
maillog:
pop3d: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:...]

any idea.. can i used courier-imap for pop3?
thanks.. if ever it will work for pop3.. could you give me some idea.. or manual about the configuration.
thank's a lot.

sseitz...

hi! im trying to configured right now the ldap/courier-imap.. it seems it works fine.. imap is working.. but the problem is the pop3.. its failed to authenticate.. any idea..
maillog:
pop3d: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:...]

any idea.. can i used courier-imap for pop3?
thanks.. if ever it will work for pop3.. could you give me some idea.. or manual about the configuration.
thank's a lot.

it sounds to me, that you configured ldap as authentification module for your (courier-)imap.
sorry, i don't have any exercises done with ldap authentification for mail purposes.
pop3 relays on an existing local user (like qmail's default configuration). you might be able to add local users, but for a lot of different usertypes, this is not the best solution. as said, this is nice to me for a few handful of users.

during installation, i'd got difficulties to authenticate users on imap :) . i solved this for courier, to accept crypt MD5. with adding an MD5 hash entry to every user in /etc/passwd, my users are able to logon.
but, this cannnot count as a 'tip' here, cause you have to go sure that passes are sync'ed.

but back to your question: about a year age (when i did this setup) there were possibilities for courier's pop3 to do Maildir. but this ain't a problem, because you should be free to use PAM for authentication.

(i'll check my setup in a few days to give you more information, by now, my brain is overloaded with a couple of various completely different projects... :) )

hi!

thanks for the reply.. i really appreciate your help.. ill wait for that.

thank's a lot.

owel:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back