Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best Network layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gramatoncleric

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2005
US
At the following URL I have a diagram of my network.
Every line in the diagram is a CAT5 cable connecting the different areas. All the client workstations mainly access an application on the server and at the same time access the internet to retrieve data from our other store's NT 4.0 server. (The diagram does not show our other off-site server). Clients are setup at each locations server.
My workstations are running static IPs in the local 192.168.1.xx range. The main usage of our workstations is running this application. The application resides entirely on the server. There are no files installed on the clients.
I have one port available in my Linksys router.
In order to increase network performance, what would be the best option.
Should I:
1. Add a third network card to my server and run it to the linksys router or,
2. Run the third network card to the HUB or,
3. Run a CAT5 from the linksys router to the HUB and disregard adding the third network card.

Scot Trodick

Of your options given I'd do 3 assuming you mean move the daisy-chained hub up to the router (same level as the other hub). Personally though I'd look at replacing the hubs with a switch.

I just realize if I try solution #3 that the network connection drops on all PCs. weird. Not sure if this is caused by having a HUB instead of a switch.
It's in my plan to switch out the HUBs with switches. I was thinking of using the LINKSYS 24-Port 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch, Model EF4124. newegg has them for $97.99
Any suggestions?

Scot Trodick

With close to 50 workstations I would recommend purchasing managed switches. You can link both switches the correct way (to the backbone) using GB Copper Ports or Fiber. Connect Your server directly to one of the GB Copper or Fiber ports for faster access across your backbone. This will increase speed especially if Apps are running from your server accross the network.

The cost will be more but if you have some budget it is defintly worth it.

Managed Switches that are good!!

Nortel
Cisco
Allied

I'm not understanding two connections from the server to the router - unless the Linksys supports port aggregation, which I doubt. This should fail in and of itself. That's the reason your option 3 fails - you're creating a loop and either the hub or the router is in turn blocking that condition - which it should.

You should have a switch directly underneath the router, with the server(s) connected into that, as well as workstations/other hubs/switches.

You're right, I'm kinda seeing that now.
I took my two cables running from my server and plugged one into each HUB.
I think my next upgrade should be dual gigabit network cards in the server going into a switch that has gigabit ports.
Does that sound right?

Scot Trodick

How many clients do you have?

Sticking with the same router should be fine. If network speed really is your issue then get 2 (24 or 48 port, depending on how many clients) managed stackable gigabit switches. Dell has some affordable ones that I think I made by Foundry.

Also, if your network is going to be fully gigabit try just using just one port off that server. Unless you have real serious broadcasting issues it's unrealistic that you are saturating a gigabit network.

Not sure what server NIC your using. If you need an upgrade go INTEL and only INTEL..

FRCP

Ever think about goine wireless? Not expensive, and works great. My setup is cable modem--->wireless router---->EVERYBODY using usb wireless network card, including server. From the outside, the world only sees the ip address of my provider, so I'm never really hit. Speed is great. Just a thought.
[idea]

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
"Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough."
Groucho Marx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back