Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best method to connect to Office LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexus37

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2006
US
Hi,

I'm trying to determine the best way for me and users to connect to the office LAN and desktops. I initially had a VPN setup and working, but had to switch from a old net gear to a new linksys wireless router and everything is screwed up now. I haven't been able to get the vpn back up. I have been able to setup remote desktop and have port 3389 forwarded to the server, but I don't want the other users messing with the server. The users need to be able to logon to there computer as well as grab files and documents off the network/server. This is a small company, but growing quickly and I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Network Setup

Linksys Router w/ Static Ip setup
Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition with all computers on one domain.
20 clients

What is Citrix and is it hard to use?

hell no... check out the link I posted...

PC anywhere my be your best option if $ is an issue

Tom

hahahah

I have PC Anywhere, but I want to be able to connect from any PC without pc anywhere being installed. Does citrix require software in order to connect?

a small executable gets put on each machine that connects. Not a resource hog at all, or a space hog. Out of the remote tools I currently use Citrix is the fasted and most reliable.

Tom

Thanks alot! That is something I am going to have to look into!

I have used a combination of VPN and pcanywhere to connect to computers sitting behind a draytek router at a remote site. I don't have any problems using version 10.5, it all works to my satisfaction. BUT hearing sounds from the remote computer is now required.

This issue was covered about 18 months back where a single response said this was not possible. Today a Google search seems to suggest that this feature is now part of version 12 but I can't find definative comfirmation that this is true. Can anyone advise on this?

If the answer is still NO for pcanywhere, are there any remote access solutions available that give this functionality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back