Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best (good compression & fast) compression software

Status
Not open for further replies.

warburp

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2003
GB
Hi

I'm looking for compression software for Solaris 8 that is freeware but has reasonably good compression and is fast. I am taking a hot and cold backup of an Oracle database (tar file is about 6GB) and I can't use gzip as the file is too large, bzip2 works but is so slow (about 6 hours for this file). Can anyone suggest a good alternative to gzip and bzip2 that will handle this size of file.

Thanks

Phil.

I have no Sol 8 host to make a lookup, but isn't gzip largefile aware? Sol9's should be...

ok, what can you do? You can use split to get files smaller than 2GB und compress them with gzip

there are other compressing utilities like pack or Solaris "compress", which is not that bad...

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Thanks

Managed to find a version of gzip for Solaris 8 that is large file aware. It is working ok now and is much faster than bzip2. I don't know who would use bzip2 with a large file, it's much too slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back