Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best DNS naming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adscnet

IS-IT--Management
Aug 18, 2003
KW
Hi All

What is the best way to organize my file servers with the proper internal DNS?

Thanks for the help

There ain't no such thing!

"Best" doesn't exist. . . for example:

What's the "best" car?

A Rolls-Royce?
Maybe, but not if you want to get 50 miles per gallon. If you have the "need for speed" then a Lotus or a Lamborghini would be a lot "better" than the 50-mpg Yugo! Maybe a Hummer?

Define your objectives in your domain naming system, and the "best" naming convention will probably become obvious.

Howard Dingman
Pro-Tel Communications
Endicott, NY

webmaster<at>holocom<dot>com

When installing the Active Directory the DNS also must be installed, and for that you need to give a web stile address name like (Me.DomainName.Com), this is easy if no web server exist, but if one of the servers you have is a web server, what the name is better to be?

Thanks for the help.

For your internal Active Directory network, your DNS naming can be something alone the lines of company.local or company.internal, company.int etc

It is up to you what the last part will be. Better to not keep the same internal DNS addressing as your external as you will get some headaches later on.

Set forwarders in your DNS to your external ISP dns for name resolution that it cannot resolve.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Have a look on my site. There is in Windows category an article about internal DNS and external DNS. It will give you an idea of a possible naming design.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

Thank you for all the replayes...

Claudek,
I have used something like this:
Our internet address is somthing like and I used for internal DNS test.dom.org.kw
and for the other one locl.dom.org.kw

Well this be fine?

GiaBetiu...
I visited your site is nice and informative ... good luck:)

I have noticed that when I go to &quot;Active Directory&quot; --> Domain Controllers --> select my server name and double click on it --> in DNS name it looks like this
- Computer Name : Aplc_Srvr
- DNS Name : Aplc_Srvr.locl.dom.org.kw

What a long name !!! :)

Any suggestions pls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back