Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best device to use in testing ethernet lines for phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfarlandrew

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2014
US
Our call center has been experiencing packet loss, we have narrowed it down to a handful of users. The lines for the section of the building they are located in are old. What is a good device to test the lines so we can rule them out? Any device advice would be greatly appreciated!

Any wire scanner that can scan up to cat6 will do the job, make sure to run the complete auto scan, if they are old wires most likely they are cat 3 and this will not cut it for voip.

acss sme acis sme acss cm 5.2.1 acss cm and cmm acss aura messaging.

I can tell you that the cabling side of our company only uses Fluke cable testers at this point
the service guys use a Fluke Networks CableIQ - it is a tester and a tracer in a nice package,
and the larger cabling jobs all use Fluke DTX-1800 I think is the model, they meet all standards and many of our jobs actually call out the tester that they want used..

we used to use some HP/agilent wirescopes, I don't know if they even exist, and in the way way past we used omniscopes/penta scanners, and I am not going to venture a guess on the actual names, or brands of those.

The important thing is to have a tester that actually tests for the cat5/ cat 6 standards... so you can be sure that the cable is not the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back