Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best database to use for 1 million+ records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chidori

Technical User
Jun 13, 2002
US
Hi,

I am working for a company that needs to search through millions of records, that span several years. Currently we are using MS Access, but we have pretty much reached the limit, where we are forced to make a seperate database for each month.

I need to find an affordable/free yet stable and powerful DBMS. It doesnt need to be like Microsoft's SQL server, because I just need to generate reports. So there will be only one user at most say 10-15 users. I just need a DBMS that can handle unlimited records.

Where can I find comprehensive information regarding this problem, and also does anyone have any suggestions as to what database system I should use?

Thanks in advance!

A lot of factors will affect the answer to your question.

What platform are you using. Some DBs are available for only Windows, some for only Unix, some for both.

What is "affordable/free" ? If you mean FREE, and you are using Windows, you are pretty much limited to MySQL or MSDE . If you are using Unix, MySQL and PostgresQL.

Since you say you are using Access, I will assume Windows is the platform. For a single user (actually up to 5). Take a look at MSDE. It is free from Microsoft and is the equivalent of SQL Server without the fancy GUI Enterprise Manager.

I recommend Interbase. This has recently become OpenSource which means basically you dont have to pay for it. It supports all the things you would expect from an "industry Strength" database including transaction processing, stored procedures and Triggers.

It also comes with some GUI tools to aid database (SQL) innteraction.

Here is the relevant link :

Opp.

I would recommend MySQL, Interbase, or Advantage. All are scalable, affordable, require little maintenance, and don't need a full time administrator.

See and firebird.sourceforge.net.

James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that they think I am now
qualified to do anything with nothing.

I would add to the use of interbase that it is available for Windows, Linux and other Unix based platforms. Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back