Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best approach to user authentication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakobud

Technical User
Mar 9, 2001
US
So I'm setting up a php/mysql driven website on our company's intranet. I need to setup username's and passwords for different individuals because they all need access to different parts of the site.

Now I'm reading up on how to do user authentication. One way I am reading about, involves creating a username/password table in the database, and when the user attempts to login in some generic php/html form, the php logs into the database using a generic login/password, then checks to see if the user's login/password match up with what is in the table.

That's an interesting way to do it. But the thing that is odd to me is that you actually log into the database using a generic login/password (hidden in the php script) and you would simply have to control what the user has access to in your frontend code, based off their login.

MySQL has it's own user authentication system in place, where you create logins and passwords for the database and control what databases and tables they have access to and control what they can do with them. So why wouldn't you do it this way?

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but hopefully users experienced in this understand where I am coming from.

I'd prefer application-specific authentication tables for a couple of reasons. One is so my application will control access, allowing for different groups and other classifications. Also, you might want to store more information about a user than is in MySQL, such as email addresses.

Maintaining access control through MySQL's authentication would be difficult as it doesn't allow for a whole lot of options. How would you permit someone to read articles by John but not by Joan, for instance.

The thing is whether you want to limit what a user can do in the DB, or what places he can access in the intranet website.

mysql's users table will control only DB actions, but there is no way for you to actually inhibit the access the page unless you have a table that tells you what pages a user has access to.

In other words you can inhibit a user from executing an insert query, but you would not inhibit the user for accessing the page that actually runs the query.

Second you would have to dynamically change the connection details to the DB based on the user that's logged in, but do you really need to stop a user from running a query when you can just stop them from actually accessing the page that runs the query?

I hope i wasn't too confusing.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Okay thanks for your help guys. It helped out a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back